Chapter 57: You scared me

Ashley's POV

I woke up to a beeping sound and bright lights around me.

All the anxiety rushed in. It took me a while to calm down and realize I was no longer tied up in that place. I was safe. I still couldn't close my eyes and not reimagine everything. I wish I could forget everything. About a month ago, I would never have imagined my life would turn out this way.

The sedatives were wearing off when my family came rushing into my room.

Mom and Katy were the first to strangle me with their hugs and kisses. Soon enough, my room was covered in flowers and get well soon balloons.

It was a relief to see everyone again. I thought I never would.

We spoke for hours and even cried. You never know how to appreciate these small moments until they could be taken away.

I was glad to hear that the woman had finally been arrested. I hope she is locked away somewhere she can never hurt anyone again. Although everything now seemed to be settling, I couldn't help but think that the real storm would soon follow.

A nurse stopped by multiple times to inform us that visiting hours were over. By then, Katy had fallen asleep beside me. It was difficult enough waking her up, let alone convincing her it was time to leave.

"We'll leave you to get some rest. I'll be outside if you need anything," Mom announced. She pulled me in for a final hug. If I hadn't pulled away, she would have probably let go when my bones started cracking.

They finally left the room and I was exhausted.

I hugged myself tightly to remind myself I was safe.

Someone knocked on my door. A nurse stepped in holding a bouquet of pink roses. She smiled at me approaching my bed.

"Someone sent these for you," she announced with a smile.

"Who sent them?" I asked sitting up straight.

"I don't know, but they came with a card." She answered.

She pushed aside the flower vase already on the desk beside me to make room for the bouquet. She didn't say anything before leaving the room.

I thought I had seen everyone already. Who were they from?

I smiled reaching into the flowers for the note.

It was in an envelope; I unfolded the letter and began reading.

My smile immediately dropped; it wasn't a get well soon letter as I anticipated.

I quickly wiped my tears and choked them back to keep myself from crying. I wanted to be done with everything. I miss the days when my life was simpler. I was always broke but at least back then I wasn't choked up by all the lies and hate. I crumbled the letter in my fist and throw it across the room.

I was startled as the door slowly cracked open. I held onto my bed sheets tightly as I waited for the person to reveal them. This hospital had to be safe right?

Tristan's face emerged from the shadows.

I retreated slowly as he approached me.

"You are awake," Tristan said smiling.

He walked to my side and sat beside me. I could barely concentrate on him. My mind was clouded with too many thoughts.

He took my hand into his and smiled softly at me. "I'm sorry I couldn't be here when you woke up," He said. "You scared me, I thought something terrible would happen to you." He paused.