10

**** The next day - Vaishnavi ****

I opened my eyes as the sunrays fell on my face. I could see the king at a distance sitting on the table reading something.

"Where were you last night?" I asked still a little drowsy, but immediately regretted as it sounded harsher than I intended to but the king seems to be unbothered.

"I went to the borders to meet the soldiers," he replied casually, "Just came back."

"oh..." I acknowledged.

"I was reading your book," the king said lifting the book up a little, "Looks like you've made some changes, Vaishnavi Adinath!"

I started panicking. Perhaps he was offended that I included his name.

"I could....change it back if you don't like it," I said.

"I do like it," said the king, "Infact I am surprised that you even know my name."

"Of course I know your name, your highness," I said.

"Then why are you not addressing me as such?" the king asked.

I was plesantly surprised. That is very progressive of him! I have no problem addressing him by his name. As a matter of fact, I would actually prefer it and am glad that he took the initiative....but Meihu's warnings came to my head. Don't fly too high and get your wings chopped off.

"That's...uh...disrepectful," I said hesitantly.

"Not if I am explicitly asking you to," the king countered.

"I've...never seen a women call her husband by name," I said.

"You've never seen a women read either but that didn't stop you," replied the king.

I didn't know what to do. I am running out of excuses. Thankfully someone knocked the door.

"I'll just..." I tried to walk past the king to open the door but he held my hand and gently pulled me back.

"Call me Adi," he said. 

"Someone's knocking on the door," I tried to make an excuse.

"They can wait," the king stated, "I am not letting you go until you call me by my name."

I remained silent.

"Come on Vaishnavi," the king insisted. 

I didn't respond and looked down and away.

"Come on Vaishu," he changed his statement and I looked into his eyes surprised. 

I liked it! I really liked it when he called me Vaishu! It felt more intimate and lovely.

"Your turn," the king whispered.

"Let me go....Adi..." I said hesitantly and a light smile erupted on the king's face.

"See, not that hard," he said and let go of my hand. I went and opened the door. It was Pallu.

"Your highness, the king is at the borders," she said excited, "You know what that means...."

"It means you got your information wrong," Adi interrupted stepping into the limelight and Pallu once again dropped everything and ran away.

Sruthi took her place. "Your highness, we've arranged for your bath," she stated.

"Thank you," I said and followed her outside. Adi followed us too.

"I will see you later Vaishu," he said before parting ways.

"Yes...see you later," I said purposefully leaving out his name. Adi raised his eyebrows and looked into my eyes insisting that I continue.

I signalled that we are around people. He shrugged and shook his head signalling that he does not care.