14

*** Vaishnavi ***

"If you want me to let go of you, fight for it."

"No," was my immediate response.

"Are you defying the king?" Adi said frowning his eyebrows.

"I...do not intend to...Adi," I replied, "But I really cannot fight. I am not skilled. This is unfair."

"Why should I believe you?" he said raising his eyebrow, "You said the same about reading."

"Because the consequences of you not believing would involve me getting hurt," I answered.

Adi thought for a moment before speaking.

"Alright, I believe you," he said taking the sword from my hand and walked past me to place both the swords in their respective positions, "But I cannot take my word back."

"How about I teach you how to wield a sword?" he asked turning around, "And then we can have a battle."

"I do not intend to learn sword fights," I said.

"I do not intend to solely focus on teaching either," Adi said. "You sneaked in to have a glimpse at me, did you not?" he asked.

"Perhaps..." I answered.

"Perhaps is not an acceptable answer, Vaishu," Adi said, "Yes or no?"

"...Yes?" I replied a little hesitant.

"Yes," Adi nodded, "So now you have the perfect reason to spend more time with me everyday." "Would you not like that?" he asked just to be sure we are on the same page.

I smile. "I would very much like that," I replied, "But, is it not against the law for me to -"

"I am the king, Vaishu," Adi interrupted, "I make the laws and I declare that from now on, no law shall prevent my wife from being with me."

"We will start from tomorrow," he declared. "Same time, my private chambers, do not be late," he smiled before opening the door.

*** Sruthi ***

We all rushed to the door the moment we heard the footsteps. We were expecting the queen, but it was.....the general....as evident by Pallu running away like a sneaky rat.

Guess, I should prepare myself for another round of yelling.

"Greetings general," Naina greeted on all our behalf.

"Hey Naina," the general said. "Does this belong to one of you ladies?" he asked showing an earring, "I found it in the weapons chambers."

"Yes...it is mine," I said. 

"Miss. Sruthi, you again," exclaimed the general. "Rule 1 of crime is to not get caught, be careful," he said calmly and gave the earring to Naina and left.

"Here," Naina said giving me the earring.

"Phew, thought he was going to yell again," I said relieved.

"He yelled at you?" Naina asked surprised.

"Yes," I nodded, "This morning....for abandoning the queen."

"Oh," said Naina, "Perhaps it's because had you been there, they could've used your statement to permenantly suspend Meihu."

"But you were there," I said, "Did you not make a statement?"

"Uh...no," Naina said hesitantly, "I got scared. "I was yelled at too," she added, "By both the king and the general. Do not take it personally."

"So I am not the only one," I said relieved, "That does make me feel better."