17

*** Vaishavi ***

"Your highness, wear this today," Pallu said excitedly running towards me with a dress. I took a deep breath. This is not going to be easy.

"Pallu...this is very beautiful," I said carefully choosing my words, "but...I think I will choose my own dress from today."

"But...your highness...this will look really good on you," Pallu said in a sad voice.

"It will look good on you too," I said, "I think you should wear this."

"Really!?" Pallu said as her eyes beamed with joy.

"Pallu no," Sruthi oppossed. "Your highness, Pallu cannot wear your clothes," she said turning towards me, "People will talk."

"Even if I command it as a queen?" I asked calmly and I could see Sruthi's expression change from concern to genuine admiration. 

"Hell no they would not," Pallu shouted in joy. "Can I try on the jwellery too, your highness, please," she asked.

"Of course, Pallu," I smiled, "Whatever you like." 

*******

I walked back to our chambers, proud and excited to show Adi the dress I selected. I expected him to be sleeping on the bed but he was no where to be found. I walked inside the huge room looking for him when I felt a hand pull me from behind. 

It is Adi who decided to capture me with one of his arms around my waist.

"Vaishu, your defensive skills are in the negatives," he commented as he applied the sindhoor with his other arm.

"We can work on that," I said, "But first look at my dress."

Adi let go off me but held onto my hand as he took a step back. 

"I made all the selections," I said excited, "Dress, jwellery, hairstyle...everything."

Adi looked from top to bottom smiling.

"Looks wonderful," he commented and stepped a little forward. "Except for this," he said and undid my braid with his hands.

"Why did you do that?" I said offended.

"To reinforce my lesson on anger," he replied. "So? What will you do now?"

"I will go get it braided again," I said and tried to leave but he held onto my hand.

"I will undo it again," he said and pulled me back.

"Then I will get it braided again," I said.

"I will undo it again. And again. And again," he stated, "until you do something different."

"Fine," I said, "Let go of my hand and I will do something different."

"Like running away?" he asked.

Yes that was the plan - to channel my inner Pallu.

"Leave me and you will find out," I said. Adi shook his head.

"Do something different and I will leave you," he said.

What different thing should I do? Reach for his unreachable hair and embarass myself? Use the little defensive skills that he himself taught me?  Scream for help and get him killed by the general?

Or I could just...

I did not let my mind overthink this and simply reached out for the glass of water nearby with my free hand and threw it on him. 

He immediately let go of my hand in surprise.

"I...am...sorry," I said immediately.

"Not going to work this time, Vaishu," he said wiping his face and immediately started to run after me. It was fun as long as we were making circles around the room but I accidentally made the mistake of stepping out and immediately stopped when I saw the soldiers standing on guard and started stepping back until I hit Adi.