23 ~ Last chance at happiness?

Hey people!

So here I am! I really really hope you guys like this one because it is going to clear a lot of things. Tell me how you feel at the end or ping me up on Instagram because I am super nervous about messing things up. I'd be glad if you drop inline comments. Your chapter starts below mine starts when your comments start showering in. Don't hold yourself back today *cheeky smile*

Happy reading! 

Author's POV

"One year or so is all I got with her, but her lingering presence in my heart is the only reason I am alive. Now she has confessed from her own mouth that no misunderstanding had defeated our love. The reason behind her leaving has to be something grave," he said as a dark look crossed his face. He craved his wife.

"God! She went through all this. I thought this foreign country had been cruel to her until she seized the throne, but her home doesn't sound warm either" Meeta closed her eyes, taking everything in. She was upset with God for making her go through so much, but now she was speechless. If the part of life she knew was painful, then getting betrayal from your loved ones was torturous. Her blood curdled and her heart constricted in her chest. Confusion swiveled in her head because Meera's reasons to leave him were absent.

"She needs to open up," Meeta said.

"I am ready to go on my knees if it makes her speak what's haunting her," Kabir said and Meeta knew a man like Kabir was a blessing.

"It's only the place that gave the scars that makes you relive the pain. The shell Meera has built around herself would break only if she is subjected to a harsh blow. She is too smart for her own good, so she wouldn't give in. I have no idea how to make her let you in," Meeta sighed. On hearing her, something hit like lightning in Kabir's chest. He reserved the thought for later as he spoke, "Let's focus on her health first"

Meeta nodded and detailed Kabir on Meera's condition. Kabir had something in his mind and he would convince his princess no matter what.

"Can you tell me whatever you know about her life over here? I know she would never tell me about the accident you talked about. I shared everything truthfully with you and now it's only fair if you do so too," Kabir said. He was dying to know about her scars, though he knew it would be difficult to handle himself after hearing it. Meeta wanted to deny it and tell him that it was Meera's story to tell, but she knew they had wasted enough time already. Kabir had enough questions to keep him awake at night and she could answer a few of them. Moreover, she didn't want Meera to stress at this point about revealing things to Kabir.

"When I first saw Meera, she was a mere patient to me. An accident case. One heavily rainy night, I and my husband were just about to close our little clinic when she had been rushed inside. A heavily pregnant lady who was involved in a car crash was in danger. My husband is a gynecologist. He treated her and it was one of the toughest cases of his life. The situation went to the extent where only one life could be saved. We belonged to India, so we understood her native language as she kept on yelling 'Chaand' like a prayer. As if her moon would shield her from the splitting pain" Meeta shuddered, remembering the night while Kabir made his heart of steel to listen further. His princess had called out to him and he wasn't there. Not only then, but she might have prayed for him to show up at so many weak moments, which he wanted to eliminate from her life, but her voice never reached him.