Prologue

"Wait, are these coats...? " Veronica mumbled to herself. And then a sudden realization hit her.

These are coats!

She quickly got through and stumbled upon a piece of wood, that was a door. It opened and she fell flat on her face.

"Ugh," Veronica grunted. Suddenly more and more memories started to flood her confused mind.

Veronica stood up and looked at the clothes she was wearing. The skirt and shirt of the day she and the siblings first got into Narnia. And she appeared...smaller.

The door opened and Professor Kirke walked in. He let out a sigh.

"Ah, I was wondering when I would be seeing you, Miss Harrison. Come with me please." He looked at her and left the room. Veronica quickly followed him.

They entered his office and sat down on the chairs. "Now, I know you are in a bit of a shock my dear, but it's all gonna be alright." He said as he passed Veronica a piece of chocolate.

"Where is Peter? And the other siblings?" She asked, taking the chocolate from the professor's hand. The first thing Veronica wanted to know was where they were.

"Oh, I have to disappoint you. But they left two weeks ago." He sighed. "The war isn't over, but their mother decided that it will be safe enough for them to come back." He smiled. "I can assure you that they were as scared as you are right now when they came back. And terrified of the fact that you remained in Narnia." He continued. Veronica's eyes widened.

"You know about Narnia?" She asked. The chocolate was now slowly melting due to her warm touch.

"Of course, they insisted on me contacting them if you ever come back. But they didn't leave any address." He said, completely dodging Veronica's question.

"So if you would like to try and contact them, I have to disappoint you by the fact that any attempt will be quite unsuccessful."

Veronica's eyes started to flood with tears. This couldn't be happening. She needed to see Peter. Now. All of this information made her remain silent.

"Now, I would like to talk to you about the new circumstances of your life. Since you were gone, a couple of things had happened that I'm sure you will be devastated to hear.

****

Veronica was informed, that her father has died in the war. She never thought it would hurt her as much as it did.

The other thing was, he knew we wouldn't make it. Which led to him signing a contract about Veronica's whereabouts. Professor Kirke was from now on her legal guardian until she would turn 18. She didn't complain about having to stay in this house. It was the place that holds the first memories she had with Peter, Susan, Ed, and Lucy.

Which on the other hand was pretty depressing. But the thought of them being in the same world comforted her a bit.

The room Veronica had to stay in was the same as when she first got there. But the other two beds remained empty. All of her things stayed there, the same as they were left. Or some of them. Someone had to go through her clothes. Her lavender shirt was missing. She liked to think that it was Peter who took it, as a memory. A smile appeared as the thought filled her mind. But tears quickly followed.

Veronica sat down on her bed and buried her face in her hands. She stayed like this for a couple of minutes, when she noticed a mirror on her nightstand. She picked it up and looked at herself.

There wasn't a middle-aged woman looking back at her through that mirror. It was her young self again. She wiped the tears off her face and tried to fake a smile which went unsuccessfully.

"I can't do this," she sighed.

****

"What about my mother, sir?" Veronica asked.

They were all sitting by the kitchen table, eating their dinner. Mrs Macready included.

"What do you mean, dear?" The professor asked, even tho Veronica knew that he understood her question.

"You know what I mean. Isn't she the one who has to take care of me now that my father's died?" A silence followed.

"Your father didn't tell you, dear? Your mother has been dead for a year already." The professor said with a confused look in his eyes.

Veronica's heart dropped. The silence got even heavier now. She didn't say anything. Anything at all. She stayed silent, with a blank stare.

"She was ill apparently." He just added.

No one spoke for a least another 15 minutes when suddenly, Mrs Macready broke the silence.

"We have to discuss your education too. I've heard that you were homeschooled?"

"Yes," Veronica answered sharply while looking at the mashed potatoes on her plate. "All my life." She lifted her sight to look at Mrs Macready and tried to fake a smile. But once again failed horribly.

"Oh, child. I know this is very hard for you-"

"I'm not hungry anymore, but thank you, Mrs Macready." Veronica cut her off and stood up. She wiped a tear from her cheek and left the room.

Veronica's thoughts were all over the place. Did the universe hate her so much? She lost practically everything.

Her mother for the first time.
Then she finally found some best friends and love. But she lost them too.
And now her home and her father.
And her mother for the second time.

Even tho she hated the woman, she always hoped very deep inside that maybe she will call and try the reconnect. Maybe even apologize and return to live with her and her father.

That hope buried deep inside her was lost forever.

The only hope was... never mind. She probably gave up on that one too.

Veronica had decided to lock herself up on the inside. Completely.

~
This is the first look at Magic of Fortune! It's sooo exciting omg. I've been working on this for a while now but I still feel like I need some more time to get everything perfect. But because I'm a nice and caring person I won't keep you hungry. So here's the prologue/kind of a first chapter. ENOJOY!!!