#11 Fight And Surrender

"How is it going with Susan?" Veronica asked when she saw Caspian walk out.

"What do you mean?" He asked, raising his eyebrows. Veronica laughed.

"You know what I mean! I just saw you two talking. There needs to be at least a bit of progress," she said as she crossed her arms.

Caspian sighed. "I don't know." He sat down. "I don't really think it's the right time to deal with any of this. Besides, I don't think she feels like that," he added.

"I'm gonna go talk to her, you stay there," Veronica smiled and left. She knew too, that this wasn't the right time to sort out Caspian's love life and his feelings for Susan, but she needed to get her thoughts away from the fact that she will be sending her husband to a duel, which will most possibly end in the death of one of the two. Peter did convince her to let him go, but she still wasn't comfortable with it.

She walked out and saw Ed getting ready to go into the Talmarine camp. He was the one to inform them about the duel. Susan was standing next to him, rereading the message Peter had written just a few moments before.

"You really are going, huh?" Veronica asked. Ed nodded. "We've told you, there's no need to worry. Peter might be stupid and annoying, but he's an amazing dueller," he said.

Ed left and the lump in Veronica's throat got immediately bigger as she realised that there was no way the duel was going to not happen. She felt someone's hand on her shoulder. It was Susan. They exchanged a look before Susan pulled Veronica into a warm hug.

"Peter will be alright, you need to believe."

"Hey Sue, what do you think about Caspian?" Veronica blurted out, wanting to change the topic.

"What?" Susan pulled away, with a confused look on her face.

"I think he likes you. Like likes you," Veronica said and cheekily raised her eyebrows.

"Really?" Susan smiled. Veronica nodded. "He does."

****

The girls were soon ready to depart into the woods. The plan was for them to find Aslan as soon as possible. They were taking Caspian's horse, Destier.

"Good luck," Caspian said, looking at Susan. Veronica was standing beside him, watching them interact. Caspian pulled Susan's horn out of his pocket and stretched out his hands towards Susan. She shook her head.

"Why don't you hold onto it? You might need to call me again," she said. Caspian pulled his hand away and smiled with a little nod. Susan gave Veronica a little wave and so did Lucy. After that, they left.

Caspian looked at Veronica and she burst out laughing.

"What?" He asked, offended.

"You two are so awkward, it's ridiculous!" She said, still giggling. Caspian shook his head with an annoyed smile. "Stop it, let's focus on the duel now," he said.

Veronica's smile dropped and she nodded. "Yeah, Im going to see Peter. He should be prepared soon."

Edmund came in with the news a couple of hours before, that Miraz did accept Peter's offer. Now it seemed even more real to Veronica. She was letting him do this.

She walked inside a room and saw Peter, fully armed looking in the mirror. He must've seen Veronica's reflection because he quickly turned around to face her.

"Are you here to try and talk me out of it?" Peter asked, smiling. Veronica leaned against the wall with her hands crossed. "No, I'm here to kidnap you so you can't go there at all," she said.