#3 Rise and Downfall

Veronica woke up to the sound of a horn. She quickly sat up, with drops of sweat running down her forehead. She must've had a bad dream.

She was still half asleep, but she decided to get up. She looked at the clock. It was 2:34 in the afternoon. She most likely missed lunch. Since she wasn't hungry, she decided to stay in her room.

...Come here...

Veronica heard a soft silent voice, almost sounding like a wind. I'm still probably confused from waking up, she thought.

...Come and help....we need you...

The second time the voice echoed into Veronica's room, she realized that this might not be just a hallucination from being tired.

Veronica stood up and decided to follow the voice. She opened the door of her room and waited for another sign of the voice.

...Our queen, come, please come...

It sounded desperate now. Veronica walked after it. She wandered along a hallway, then she walked up a small staircase and walked through another hallway. She didn't hear the voice anymore, but she knew exactly where to go.

She walked up to a door and opened it. The wardrobe room. Without any second thought, Veronica ran up to the tall closet and opened its door.

It was like she was in a trance like someone was almost pulling her in. She didn't even acknowledge the fact that her feet were shifting on the ground. She stepped inside and walked through the coats.

Once she felt that familiar feeling of her feet appearing on the soft grass, she fully came to her senses again.

She was there, in Narnia.

The sharp sun hit her in the face, and the smell of the forest filled her nose. She felt comfortable and at peace. She was smiling so hard that her face started to hurt after a few seconds.

She walked past the lamppost and decided to go and look around, to see if she will bump into someone. She was for sure certain that she didn't remember the way to Cair Parevel from there.

She walked and walked, the grass tickling her legs. She wanted to dance, she wanted to sing. That's how happy she was. The last time she was here, she felt like a sad ghost. And now, she was probably the happiest human here. Well, she was probably the only human there.

She knew that time in Narnia passed differently than back in England. She wanted to know how much time had passed since she left. It could've been just a year. Or three. Who knows. She was just happy to be there.

It felt really strange. She was walking for a little while now and she hasn't seen a single magical creature. Not a single dryad came to see her. Not a single bird greeted her. No centaurs, no fauns. Nothing.

Perhaps there is some kind of celebration, and that's where they all are, Veronica thought.

And suddenly, she heard three voices.

"Fine, go then! See if the others will be as understanding!" A male voice said. He seemed angry.

"Or maybe I'll come with you. I want to see you explain things to the minotaurs!" Another voice answered.

Minotaurs? What about them? Veronica thought. She was hidden behind a tree. Listening to the conversation.

A third voice, a little thinner but still a male's, spoke up. "Minotaurs? They are real?"

Why wouldn't they be real? Has so much time passed that they went extinct? So many thoughts were filling up Veronica's mind. But she couldn't find an answer to any of them.