chapter thirteen, we who were born from nothing

SOMEHOW, IN THE short period of time Livia had been talking with Zeth, Madi and Aurelius had become the best of friends. Livia started talking with Cade, who was nice and funny and far more down-to-earth than she'd have expected.

It seemed inevitable that Madi and Livia would be asked to go out to dinner with them tonight. Mr and Mrs Calvert-Egerton were out. As were Livia's parents. To the same dinner party, actually.

The two girls exchanged a glance, and then they both agreed to go with them, though Livia pointed out that she ought to bring Pamela (and Anya, if she was there) as well. It was agreed upon, and they all headed to either their own homes or their friends' to get cleaned up.

"Aurelius is hot," Madi murmured.

"Madi. He's sixteen."

"What?" Madi asked, amused, glancing at Livia. "I didn't say anything. Besides, it's not illegal."

"Madi."

"What? He is hot."

"I can't see it," Livia admitted. Unlike Amphion or Zeth, who Livia had grown up seeing as an equal, a part of her would always see Aurelius (and Victoire) as little babies. Didn't matter that Aurelius was sixteen now. Didn't matter that he was as tall as any of his brothers and thus taller than herself. She wouldn't be able to see him in any way other than that little blonde boy she used to babysit when she was a girl.

Madi let out a scoff. "Of course you can't. Well, all you need to know is that I can. And he has good musical taste."

Livia's brows creased, but she didn't push the topic. No point in that. No matter what, the two girls would not see eye to eye regarding that topic.

They got ready quickly—both girls took quick showers to get themselves cleaned up. They dried their hair and applied some makeup (but not too much, since neither had the patience). Madi did it because she was somewhat a celebrity now, and her parents' status had meant she'd been recognised in public more than once in her eighteen years of life. Livia just did it because she wanted to.

A text came onto Livia's phone from Zeth a moment later. Livia's heart dropped for a moment before she remembered that she and Zeth were at peace now. Meet in twenty mins outside our house, the text said. Simple and brief.

Madi raised a brow. "You're friends with him again?"

"Just him. My grievance was never with him anyways."

"If you forgive one, it's only a matter of time before you forgive the other."

"Well, I literally am going to the same university as the other."

"There's a massive difference between going to the same university with a former crush you've forgiven and what you haven't."

Livia let out a startled laugh. "Madi, I don't like him anymore. It was never a very strong crush anyways."

"Crushes don't go away that easily."

"You're the second person to tell me that today."

That gave Madi, who was shoving her now half-dried swimsuit into a plastic bag, pause, as the girl turned to glance at her friend in front of a mirror. "Who... Zeth?"

"I'm not telling you who he was referring to."

Madi raised her hands in a surrender position. "I won't ask. Don't feel like getting hunted down or something if he gets embarrassed about it."