chapter fourteen, older cousin

AND LIVIA KEPT her promise to herself. For the next whole week she didn't bump into the twins a single time. On the occasion when Zeth texted her (which happened quite often), she pretended not to see or waited until the text was no longer relevant to respond. They had to have figured out what she was doing, it was far too obvious, but they didn't say anything about it and they didn't burst that bubble at all.

She went to play badminton with Pamela and Anya and absolutely crushed the two younger girls, played occasional matches at the Fencing Club and lost a majority of them, or hung out with Madi, who was flying back soon and didn't have the entire summer to spare. Brie's football training was piling up, and she took a train back to London once or twice too for extra training with her usual team. Lila went radio silent for a few days, the only signs of her on one particular Eunice Ying.

An exasperated Jason called Livia one night, with only one question to ask: "Is your friend into Eunice?"

Livia mused over her possible responses for a moment, and then replied honestly, "If my facts are correct, yeah. There's something brewing there."

Jason swore under his breath. "She's mean."

"On the outside, but I promise she's really nice at heart."

"That's what Eunice is saying. I don't believe either of you."

Livia let out a snort. "Your loss. But like, if they're interested in each other..."

Jason was silent for a moment. "Eunice is interested."

"I don't see a problem then."

"I suppose not. It's my... cousinly protectiveness coming into play. You know, warding off all romantic prospects with a stick and whatnot."

"Pathetic."

"Who are you calling pathetic?"

They bickered for a short while, with Livia ending the conversation with a crushing victory for herself. Jason seemed to be on the verge of tears (that was a slight exaggeration) by the end of the call, which Livia was just slightly pleased by.

A week and two days after that eventful dinner, the much-anticipated Remiel Wong pulled up in a taxi outside the driveway, knocking on the door with a massive smile on her face.

Auntie Xu was the one who answered. As she helped Remiel bring her luggage in, the rest of the family came and gathered downstairs. Their uncle and aunt had already visited before Livia's branch of the family had arrived, so they didn't come with Remiel.

"Uncle, auntie, granny! And of course, my two absolute favourite cousins in the world."

Livia wrinkled her nose. "What happened to that baby on your mum's side?"

Remiel pulled a face. "She puked on my favourite sweater."

"No, the Sandro one?" Pamela asked, looking absolutely mortified.

Remiel replied with a sad nod.

Pamela covered her face with her hands in dismay. "Oh dear god. That is horrendous. I'd never do that to you, Remy, you know that, right?"

"If you did," Remiel shot back, "you'd be dead."

"Shut up, girls, and help your cousin get her luggage upstairs," their mother commanded. Without complaint both girls walked over to help. Pamela picked up Remiel's backpack, and Livia helped Remiel carry the suitcase up to her room.

"I'm not staying for long this time," Remiel murmured. "Honestly, if it wasn't for nai nai, I wouldn't have come at all."

"Fair enough," Livia said. "I'm glad you're here, though. There's still a lot we can get into within a week."