Chapter 9 - Ash

ASH

I stood shaking with the cell phone in my hand.

"Are you still there?" Callahan asked.

"Yes." My voice squeaked as a flame of heat rushed to my cheeks.

"I'm sorry—are you expecting a call? Should I call back?"

"No. It's fine. I can talk." I swallowed as my hands grew clammy. "How did you get my number anyway?"

"I tried to catch you after practice, but you'd left. So, I asked Georgia for your number."

Georgia? Georgia! Oh, no. Images of her ambushing me with a million questions before morning practice already started to haunt me.

"I had to leave early."

"Oh." He took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

Blood hammered in my ears while I waited for him to speak. Was this really happening? Callahan O'Reily, the hottest guy in school, could not be calling me. This had to be another horrible prank.

"I—" He hesitated. Then another painful silence. I wanted to say something, anything to rescue the conversation.

Speak, Ash. "If this is a bad time for you—" Stupid, of course it's a good time for him or he wouldn't have called. Please just tell me why you called already.

"Uh, no, it's good. So, Senior Ball."

He said it. He called to talk about the dance. Was Holly right?

"Senior Ball," I echoed like a dummy as my nerves rattled like loose change.

"Are you going with anyone?"

My heart hammered harder. "Um—hadn't planned on going."

"Really? But you're nominated for the court."

I chuckled nervously. "Funny you'd mention that. I don't know how that happened."

"You . . . don't want to be on the court?" His voice sounded confused, like he had no clue why I'd be upset about that. I'm sure in his mind, all girls wanted to be nominated.

"I—I'm honored," I lied. How could I explain to him that I was mortified someone pulled this prank on me?

"You should be. It's not just a popularity contest."

Yeah, right. I couldn't help it. A snort slipped out.

His sigh sobered me up. "Well, then blame me."

"Why would I blame you?"

"I nominated you."

"You . . . what? Why?"

"The ballot said to nominate someone who they believed represented the ideal student. Someone who's kind to everyone, of high character, and scholarly. I immediately thought of you."

My mouth opened, but only air whooshed out. No snippy comeback, nothing.

"See? And even in the admission, you're humble. I rest my case."

I clenched my jaw. "Not fair."

"How's that not fair?"

"I was late to class that morning. I couldn't remove myself from the ballot," I stammered.

"Exactly." I heard the grin in his voice and my knees weakened.

"Ashlyn, time for dinner." My mother's voice floated upstairs—a little more urgent than normal, like this was the second request.