Chapter 16 - Fin

FIN

I dropped off Tatch and headed straight over to the practice field. Chauncey mentioned yesterday we'd get to drill with actual weapons today and I needed to hurry before everyone picked over the armory selection. My chances of defeating Badger could improve with something like a sword in my hand.

I tried to clear my mind and think only of the upcoming duel like Badger had instructed, but Tatch mentioned wanting to tell Ashlyn about what happened with Azor, which ended our jovial morning. At the mention of her name, my craving rekindled for the outdoors and the sun along with the desire to go home.

"Aye, yer late. Get over here before I give you a wallopin'," Badger said and threw me into a headlock, rubbing his knuckles into my skull.

"Hey." I wriggled free and took a fighting stance, barbs out. "Who made you my keeper? I had something I had to do." Like babysit my sister.

"Yer da' would want me to be keepin' watch over ye, and I don't want ye to be gettin' no demerits."

"Demerits? Ha! I wouldn't worry about that today." Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a black tail zip by—Azor returning from our house with a wounded ego, no doubt. "So where are the weapons?"

Badger winked at me and took out a trident from behind a nearby rock. My smirk disappeared off my face. He continued to grin as he pulled out a golden javelin too. He snagged two? My hands ached at the sight of such fine pieces of workmanship, surprised the armory held weapons of such caliber.

"Aren't you a greedy charlatan," I said quickly, while clenching my jaw, figuring I'd probably end up with a wooden sword or worse—nothing, if everyone took more than one.

"You underestimate me, lad," he said, holding both pieces out toward me. "Pick yer poison."

I cocked my head to the side. "What?"

"I got two so ye could choose yer favorite."

"Really?" My smile returned. "Yer a good man, Badge."

"I know."

Grommet, the youngest of our group, sang a high pitched series of notes to signal the army to move into ranks. Azor hovered close by, stoic and visibly pissed off as the excitement heightened from the group. My enjoyment of his earlier tongue-lashing from Mom was hard to contain; I couldn't wait to tell Badger what happened. Azor impatiently flipped his tail a few times, stirring up the current to get our attention. The group silenced.

"Mermen," he said after clearing his throat, moving to float a few feet higher so we had to look up at him, "it is time we learn how to fight and defend our city!"

Everyone erupted into a sudden cheer, startling me. Was this the first time they'd ever had access to the armory?

"They say you can tell a lot about a merman by the weapon he takes into battle." Azor's scowl fell on me. "And we are at battle, gentle-mermen, don't be deceived. Man may look like you, he may sound friendly, and he may even give you the promise of his word, but never forget that his ultimate desire is to kill, destroy, and steal what is rightfully ours. Humans are never to be trusted. We must always remember that they are our enemy!"

Badger joined the hoots and hollers, beating his fist against the metal breastplate over his chest. I stayed still, content to observe with my javelin in my hands behind my back. His agreement surprised me. He of all people, who once was a man, didn't strike me as one so apt to condone blanket condemnation of his previous kind. Before I could mention something, Azor continued.