Chapter 10 - Fin

FIN

"Wow." I surfaced to find a newly installed air bubble inside our mer house. "When did this happen?"

"Today." Tatiana ran her hand through the light from a sun-mirror and phased out of her fin, then leapt up onto the stone floor. "Mom? Mom! I can't stay here anymore. Look at what they did to me!"

She disappeared around the corner which gave me the perfect opportunity to phase and throw on my shorts. Apparently Mom hadn't had time to put up a privacy curtain.

"Mother of pearl!" Mom yelled from the back room.

I cringed. Not the reaction I hoped for. Sobs from Tatch followed. I ducked into my room and stopped in my tracks.

In the corner, a lava lamp illuminated a new hammock, complete with a downy comforter and feather pillow encased in a green striped sheet. A poster of my favorite band, The Classic Crime hung on the wall and a few of my favorite books lined the shelves. My childhood Star Wars action figures sat on a stack of T-shirts.

I thumbed through the pile, pulled on my favorite "#TessieLives" shirt, and laughed. No mer in Natatoria would have any idea what it meant, let alone understood the concept of Twitter.

With a smile, I curled back on mesh netting. Since we slept on the bottom of the pool at night, my bed at home only served as a household prop. But with the continual sunlight available through mirrored tunnels, I could have my legs all night. I wiggled my toes, enjoying the refreshing change. Mom thought ahead this time.

"Good," she said while peeking around the rock doorframe.

"How did you know? When did you do this?"

She smiled. "Dad took this stuff down right before the meeting. He guessed we might be spending an extended stay in Natatoria, so I thought this would help with the transition."

I sat up. "Tatch said Dad's not coming back."

Mom walked over barefoot, wearing a sequined skirt that shushed when she walked. She sat next to me on the hammock. "He's coming back. I'm just not sure when."

"Where is he?"

"Today, in the palace someone accidentally mentioned it's top secret, so not even I'm allowed to know." Mom folded her hands in her lap, keeping a sullen expression.

I swallowed hard. Top secret sounded dangerous and Mom appeared to be stuffing her worry. "So now what?"

"We wait, we do as we're expected and when your father returns, we go home." She patted my knee.

I groaned. I didn't want to stay any longer than we had to. Fresh oxygen and the sun hanging in the sky still rated higher than some fancy mirror labyrinth and a bubble. "But what about the business?"

"Hopefully Alaster doesn't burn up our fleet," she said with a forced laugh. "We'll just fix his mistakes when we get back. Next time you'll be old enough and this won't happen again, though Al's made no secret he wants Tahoe. I'm hoping you'll have the gate and the business one day. But your chances will increase if you have a wife. You should use this time to meet other mermaids your age."

Ashlyn's smile fluttered into my mind. She'd been the first and only girl that captured my attention. "Mom, it's not that easy to meet girls."

"Then go to the courting room."

I rolled my eyes. Only desperate mermen went there. "Geez, Mom."

"So you're not planning to attend the festival?" Mom's eyes studied mine, piercing me through to my unpromised soul. "Are you planning to leave the mer life instead?"

I clenched my jaw. "Of course not." 

She closed her eyes and sighed. "I'm concerned you're going to choose to leave because we never tried to help you fit into Natatoria's way of life."

"It's not that, Mom. I like the fresh air and sunshine."

She looked at me with tears in her eyes. "Being a mer is a wonderful thing. There's no sickness, endless youth, and long life. The promise gave me my soul mate, your father. That's all I've ever wished for you and your sister."

"You don't have to sell it to me." I patted her on the shoulder. "I like being a mer. I just want to find a girl on my terms."

Tatiana peeked around the doorway, her hair bound up in a towel.

"Come here." Mom opened her arms wide. Tatch joined in and the three of us sat swinging, encased in mom's hug. "Listen. I know this change has been rough. Tatiana, I'm sorry you've become the Barbie doll of the Queen. And Fin, for being stuck with us. It's only temporary. Dad will groom you to take over Tahoe, like you want when he gets back. And Tatiana, I'll help you get into a college in Tahoe or even" —she took a deep breath— "let you date since you don't seem keen on any mermen here. Let's just get through this, all right?"

"Okay," Tatch moaned in agreement, followed with a sniffle.

"Sure, Mom." I didn't know what else to say.