Chapter 46 - Ash

ASH

In desperation, I decided I'd hallucinated the whole thing. Mermaids weren't real. It was time to put the "strand of pearls" away and think rationally. This wasn't me. I wasn't crazy. And no guy, no matter how handsome or wonderful, would drive me to act foolishly. I had a life to live and so did Fin. For whatever reason he wasn't with me, so I'd need to accept it and move on. Today would be day one of that journey.

I pulled out my homework and stared at the page filled with notes from my teacher. The words blurred and jumbled around, competing with the chaos in my head. Was a little peace too much to ask for? I flung my body back into the pillows and screamed at the sudden burst of pain from my leg.

I suddenly heard stomping and was startled when my door flew open. Dad stood in the doorway, terror splashed across his face. "What's wrong, Ash?"

"Dad," I said as the tears poured out. "I'm a mess. I can't stop all these feelings of dread all the time. But there's nothing I can do to fix the situation."

He came and sat next to me, fraught with worry. "Ash, you're not making any sense."

"I saw them, the other night. They were taken by their family to some strange place against their will. Something's wrong, I can feel it."

He closed his eyes and caressed my hair. "Ash. You imagined you saw them. Remember? We've been through this. They haven't been home. Mom would know. Jack hasn't been seen for almost a month."

"They weren't with Mr. Helton. They were alone. It was their weird cousin and some others. Can you please just go over and ask?"

Dad tightened his forehead. "If that would make you feel better."

I shook my head. "Yes, please."

As he stood, the bed squeaked, as if adding a small plea for my case. He grimaced and left me alone. I listened as he closed the front door, imagining him walking down the path and around the corner. Within minutes he returned.

"No one is home, Ash," he said quietly. "I'm sorry."

I rolled over and faced the wall, palming a hunk of hair and tugging. Something had to stop the madness and soon. The shell of my psyche was cracking and at any moment, I knew it would shatter to pieces.

"Why don't you come out and spend some time with me in the living room?" he asked.

I moaned but didn't move. He waited a minute and sighed, then shut the door.