Chapter 59 - Fin

FIN

"What does Badge mean 'they're coming'?" I yelled in the basement.

"Badger called from Scotland and apparently Alaster helped Azor and his buddy's get vehicles in Sacramento. They're hiding in the river tonight and going to drive here at dawn. We've only got about two hours to get away from the lake before they arrive."

"No," I roared. "I'm not leaving without Ash. It's not fair to her or me. I'll hide and stay in Fallen Leaf Lake instead. Leave the Jeep and I'll catch up with you in Florida in a few months."

"Impossible, Fin," Dad countered. "I know how much you love Ash, but they aren't leaving Tahoe once they get here. They're going to try to reopen the gate."

"What?" I plunged myself backwards into the water and let the air escape from my lips as I sunk to the bottom. Then I yelled and pounded my fists on the pool bottom, wishing it was Azor's face.

"Fin," Dad said underwater. "It's only for a few months. Maybe Ash can come to Florida early for the summer. For a trip?"

"But how are we going to travel across the country? We're fish."

"I got an RV today. We'll use the GPS and find rivers and lakes along the way. We'll make due until we reach Florida."

I closed my eyes and didn't move off the pool floor. "I can't, Dad. I can't leave her."

"This time we don't have a choice. There's too much of a risk of them spotting you if you stick around."

My heart felt like it was going through a meat grinder. Ash would never understand. This was going to break her. "Then make me human. Anything to stay."

"Fin," Mom said, sitting on the pool floor next to me. She took my hand. "Have you considered where you'll live? Once you become human, you'll be subjected to the elements, to the cold. You need to stay a mer, at least for now—Tatiana still needs your help to free her. And the promise will be broken. Ash's feelings could change."

I rolled over and hid my face. As selfish as it was, I didn't want my promising feelings for Ash to go away, for either of us.

"You have to be strong, for her," Mom said.

I didn't want to be strong. I wanted to break things. "I have to tell her good-bye in the morning?"

"We'll be leaving as soon as we can." Mom's shoulders slunk down. "I'm so sorry."

I darted over to a corner in the pool and sulked the rest of the night. I wanted to call Ash and listen to her sweet voice. If only Ash could tell me this was a joke, but I wouldn't be able to withhold my disappointment. This was something I had to tell her in person.

I tried to visualize a ray of sunlight, so I'd phase into legs. I'd do anything to have one last night together, to curl up in each other's arms and hope the morning never came. How could we survive this? Being apart for a few hours was hard enough, but months?

I groaned and put my face in my hands, the impending doom rocketing through my body. The night ticked by slowly but eventually the sun rose and rays peeked through the basement windows.

Without a word, I left the pool and ran to my girl.