Chapter 24 - Ash

ASH

Callahan escorted me to the porch and my heart never pounded more excitedly. Well, except a few hours ago when the results of Senior Ball Queen were announced.

"Sorry about tonight," Callahan said sheepishly.

"For?"

"Everything." He looked away, guilt covering his face.

I chuckled and squeezed his hand tighter. "I'm not. I got to leave with the Senior Ball King. What more could I ask for?"

He peered down at me and wrapped his hands around my waist, knocking my breath away with his closeness. "I wanted you to be my Queen."

I squealed on the inside, far happier to have his vote above anyone else's, and put my arms around his shoulders, gazing back into his eyes. "Who says I have to have a majority vote to be yours?"

"True." He raised his left eyebrow.

His reaction zinged my chest and I giggled at how brazen I'd become.

"You were really great with everything I had to do tonight, too." Callahan's gaze darted away again. "I don't know if I could have handled things if the vote had gone another way."

I leaned my head over, forcing him to look at me and smiled once his baby browns met mine. "If it weren't for the fact that you just asked me to be your girlfriend, then I might not have handled your Kingly duties very well either."

He flashed a coy smile. My breath quickened as he brought me closer. Finally, an uninterrupted moment. I tilted my lips toward his, parting them slightly as he leaned in. I shut my eyes.

A loud splash down by the lake drew my attention away, causing me to turn at the last second. Once again, Callahan planted a kiss on my cheek.

"Did you hear that?" I asked, peering over his shoulder. My heart still thundered at a sprinting pace, leaving me breathless and shaky, especially after I realized what I'd done.

"What?" He turned and looked for the interruption, dropping his hands from my waist

I let go of his shoulders and readjusted my corsage on my wrist. How could I have let this happen again? "Sorry, where were we?"

Callahan put his hand on my chin and caressed my cheek with his thumb, his eyes filled with concern. With his other hand, he brushed a wisp of hair away from my face.

"Maybe we're taking things too fast," he said solemnly.

I gulped back the rejection, begging with my eyes for him to kiss me again. "No, I'm sorry."

He straightened the corners of his lips; disappointment crossed his face. "We'll have a better chance another time. I need to relieve the driver and get home. My parents won't be happy if I end up owing overtime."

"Right." I stared at the ground, my cheeks flushed from screwing up the perfect ending to our crazy night.

Callahan caught my hands and forced me to look at his tender eyes. "I had a very nice time tonight."

I sighed as he pulled me into a hug, kissing me on my temple. The warmth of his body, encased against mine, temporarily calmed the roller coaster in my stomach. "I did, too."

I wanted to say something else to fix it or just grab his face and lay one on his lips, but my cowardice wouldn't let me. Instead, I pulled out my set of keys and unlocked the door.

"You're such a sweet girl," he said before heading down the walkway toward the limo. "Have good dreams tonight, Ashlyn,"

"Good night," I whispered and shut the door.

My head reeled as I removed the bothersome heels and tiptoed barefoot through the dark house toward the stairs. What the heck just happened?

I purposefully avoided going to the after-party just so we'd get a quiet moment together. Why did I look away? Why didn't I just kiss him when I had the chance? Would he go now to the party without me? I dreaded waiting for his phone call tomorrow. I bet he'd break up with me in the morning because of my lack of experience.

And then the stupid dance. Why was I so disappointed when Principle Tanner called Brooke's name instead of mine? Did I really want to be Queen or was I just jealous of Brooke getting his attention? I struggled watching her fawn all over him for pictures and the dance reserved for royalty. Georgia had me so convinced I'd win, like the swim race earlier. Was the vote even close? How badly did I lose? And why was Brooke so smug even after people booed her? The audience's reaction didn't jive with the results. Thank goodness Kylie and Evan were more excited about the after-party at Justin's house than rubbing the defeat in my face.

I took off my dress and carefully wrapped up the fur in the garment bag Gran left for me on the bed and slid into my jammies. With an empty stomach and a full brain, I curled up on the window seat and peered into the dark night. Tatchi's house was lit up like a Christmas tree and Fin's Jeep sat like a statue. Every time I'd attempted to go over there to talk to Colin, I chickened out.

Why couldn't she just come home already?