Chapter 39 - Fin

FIN

Tatch's scream both in my head and in the water shot adrenaline straight into my muscles. I wasn't about to be taken home like a captured fugitive. This is the moment Badger had groomed me for—the moment to prove who I was and what I could do.

I popped my shoulder back into Chauncey's arm and felt him momentarily loosen his grip. With a quick flip of my tail, I slid out of his grasp and circled around, piercing a barb filled with poison into his chest. He groaned and tried to hit me with his spear, but the direct shot took affect quickly and pumped into his body. I snagged his spear as he slipped into a daze and floated in the current.

Tatch took advantage of the attack and bit Colin in the arm. He yelled and released her. "You filthy little—"

I smacked Colin across the face with my tail before he could finish. "Don't you dare insult my sister." Before he could recover, I spun around and hit him again. "And that's for taking my Jeep without permission."

Colin shook his head and held his bleeding nose. I prepared to whack him again for wearing my clothes when Blanchard got between us with a spear, pointed directly at my chest.

"Enough," Azor yelled.

Tatch floated behind me, nails bared. "Stay back," she said, followed with a hiss.

I held my spear and pointed it towards anyone who moved.

 "Don't do anything stupid," Azor replied, keeping his distance and his cool.

"Where are we going to go?" Tatch asked.

"I don't know yet. Just watch my back."

We mad-dogged Azor and his goons, and waited for someone to make a move. I had no idea how long this standoff would last or how we'd escape and hide without being seen, but we had to try. We weren't letting them take us back to Natatoria without a fight.

"Like I said earlier, we don't mean anyone any harm," I said and slowly swam away from the group. "All we want is to leave peaceably and I suggest you don't follow us."

"Or you'll what?" Azor asked mockingly. "You can't possibly think you'll be able to hide in the lake tonight. You can run, but we'll find you. You'll be returning to Natatoria—both of you. It's your choice whether or not it's peaceable."

 "I'll never go anywhere with you!" Tatch growled at Azor.

The group let out a collective "oooh." He turned and silenced them with a glare.

For the most part, Azor was right. But there was one place we could hide that no one would consider looking—the upstairs bathtub of our house. We could escape through the hatch and crawl upstairs while everyone combed the lake. We'd avoid the game of cat-and-mouse and in the early morning we could take the Jeep right from under their noses. With the contrived plan I smiled, until I realized Uncle Alaster wasn't part of the apprehending party.

"Fin, watch out!"

I swirled around just in time to see my Uncle's tail barbs headed straight for my face. Then the world suddenly went black.

: : :

 "Just like his father," I heard a deep male voice say.

I slowly pried open my eyes and winced at the pain radiating from my cheek. King Phaleon stood just beyond the bars, staring at me coolly. Though I'd never seen him up close in person, he bore a striking resemblance to the large statue outside of the palace and he wore a crown. Azor was perched smugly on his left, showing me off as if I were a prized stag. His happiness made me wish I'd stabbed him with the spear when I had the chance earlier.