Chapter 21 - Ash

ASH

I paced the length of my room in my sling-backs, trying to get a better handle on walking. My hair was perfectly styled, make-up done to my mother's standards, dress altered to fit me like a glove, and my ride fashionably late. And to top everything off, all I wanted to do was vomit.

"They're here!" Lucy called up the stairs in a breathless frenzy. "Hurry up, Ashlyn!"

I craned my neck to look out the window as the limo and three cars filled with parents pulled up into the driveway. At the sight, my pulse thumped wildly through my veins. Callahan got out first and took my breath away wearing a magnificent black suit.

His shoulders rose and fell. I wanted to call to him and wave, but stood faltering in my self-confidence as the rest filed out: two of Callahan's friends: Dustin and Evan, and their dates: Shannon from the swim team and Kylie, who happened to be a close friend to Brooke.

What if I make a complete idiot of myself tonight?

I wasn't as prepared as I'd hoped to be, especially with Kylie riding in the limo with us. Visions of her prying the crown from my head on the ride home flashed through my mind. For my safety, I hoped the student body voted someone else Queen.

I smoothed my sweaty hands on the bedspread and proceeded toward the stairs. The parents' chattering voices swooped up the stairwell. I hesitated, wishing for a place to hide.

Dad turned the corner and looked up at me, his comforting eyes sparkling with pride. "Ashlyn, you look breathtaking."

I willed away the tears as I walked down the steps to take his outstretched hand. He kissed me on the cheek before escorting me into the living room. The occupants hushed.

Callahan's dark chocolate colored eyes met mine and his smile wrapped me with warmth, melting away my nerves. I joined him by the fireplace and Mom handed me the green orchid boutonniere. The noise returned as parents voiced compliments and snapped photos, lessening the attention on my entrance

"Hi," he said with a rickety voice. "You look really beautiful."

"Thank you. You look great, too."

My hands shook, trying to pin the darn flower onto his lapel and not stab him by accident. Mom noticed and took over. I gratefully moved out of her way.

He opened the plastic case containing a red rose corsage and took my hand. His touch sent electricity down my arm, energizing my skin as he slid the elastic over my wrist and slyly interlacing his fingers with mine. I squeezed his hand back and smiled.

The chaotic photo shoot slowly turned more organized as couples were paired up and commanded to smile, look over here, get closer together, move further apart. When I thought I couldn't take another blinding flash, Georgia pulled me close for a best friends shot. Reluctantly, I let go of Callahan's hand.

She giggled and pressed her cheek into mine. "Isn't this awesome?" she asked through the teeth of her smile as her mom aimed the camera.

I grunted an acknowledgement and noticed my feet had already begun to hurt. Behind Georgia's mom, Kylie stood with a straight-face, solitary hand on her hip. I questioned why she'd agreed to ride with us. Was she here to ruin my evening with Callahan on purpose?

After the last flash, I pulled away. "Shouldn't we be leaving soon?"

Georgia looked at her cell phone and gasped, grabbing onto Jeremy's arm. "Time to go."

To my relief, Callahan's hand found mine again and we locked eyes for a brief minute. Though we'd spent a lot of effort to make the evening so exquisite, all I wanted to do was go somewhere, just the two of us, and talk. In his eyes, I read he wanted the same thing. But the tide of dresses and suits swept us out the door toward the limo.

"Oh, wait," Gran called behind me and I turned. She draped the white fur over my shoulders. "Have fun, Dear." Her soft hand wrapped around mine briefly and I smiled as she kissed me on the cheek.

"Thank you, Gran."

For a moment her eyes twinkled. She joined the line of parents on the porch as they called out well wishes. I waved and got into the luxurious limo, anxious to experience my first ride.

Georgia got in on the other side and snuggled in next to Jeremy. Then the iPhone party began: photos, texting, videos—you name it. Georgia's gleeful banter kept the limo relatively warm in spite of Kylie's insipid chill. Kylie ended up moving to the other end of the limo with Evan, engrossed with the screen of her cell phone. Shannon, on the other hand, cooed and posed under Dustin's arm. I watched the comedic interaction, distracted by Callahan's gentle fingers entwining and playing with mine, his breath tickling my ear. The driver watched through his rear view mirror with a shake of his head.

"Ready to go?" he asked gruffly.

Callahan nodded and we were off. I leaned deeper into his shoulder and Georgia eventually stopped talking and turned on the radio.

"You look awesome," he whispered again, tucking me under his arm.

I looked down at my corsage. Delicate flowers made of gems lay hidden in the greenery. "Thank you."

"Geez, Ash—you seriously need a Facebook account. I can't tag you on anything," Georgia whined, her fingers moving over the touch screen.

"Yeah, well . . ." I sighed. She already knew my parents were techno-tards.

"Do you want to drive around for a little bit?" the driver asked through the window between the front seat and us. "Or go straight to the country club?"

We glanced around at one another, no one voicing an opinion.

I shrugged and finally said, "Sure, why not?"

Kylie cleared her throat. "If we're late, the line for pictures will be out the door. We should go now. I am on the committee after all." She batted her eyelashes at Evan for support.

Georgia chimed in. "Do we really need to go to the country club now? Can't we at least drive around for thirty minutes and get our money's worth? We've only got the limo until eleven—pictures can wait."

"That sounds good to me," Shannon said.

Callahan and Dustin agreed. Evan remained silent, which angered Kylie further.

"Fine. Whatever." She tossed her hair over her shoulder, side swiping Evan in the face. "I was just thinking of everyone else since I do have privileges, so you'll just have to enjoy the line."

Privileges?

She began texting, I'm sure to tattle to someone that we were holding her hostage. When her phone buzzed with a return exchange, she cackled and looked straight at me. The others might have finally noticed her visual assault, but another limo zipped by, its occupants hanging out of the sunroof, causing a major ruckus.

Georgia laughed and began to open our own sunroof. I grabbed her knee. "You'll mess up your hair."

Kylie snorted and looked at her phone. We both glared at her. "I'm laughing at my text message."

Sure you are. I was glad her acidity finally crossed into someone else's territory.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, but my heart wouldn't stop pounding for what lay ahead. Deep down, though incredibly sweet, I wished Callahan hadn't nominated me, especially now with Kylie in our limo. Who in their right mind would agree to this arrangement? Evan was clearly not thinking. He should have never made his date share a limo with Callahan, her best friend's ex, and me, her best friend's competition for the Senior Ball Queen. Ridiculous.

Instead, I ignored her and focused my gaze out the window at the lake, breathing in Callahan's glorious scent. I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of letting her know she bothered me. Callahan responded the way I needed, unaware of my internal battle, and wrapped his arms around me, causing my heart to beat faster for good reasons.