Chapter Three- Macy

I spend the next few days preparing for my Death. I don't know how long I have until I have to vacate my apartment and head for Salvia Street. I'm not sure if I can stay in my apartment until the money I have saved up is spent and I can no longer pay rent, or if they'll make me head for Salvia Street right away. I'm not taking any chances, though, so as soon as the tears were dry and I had the energy to get up off the floor, I started preparing. Setting my affairs in order was the easy part. I don't have that many affairs to settle.

The hard part was deciding what I would do for my Death. I thought about performing the same one as Eliot's father, but I decided against it. I want my Death to be glorious. I want it to be one that people will remember for years. So performing parkour without any safety precautions is out of the question. Perhaps I can do a stunt with a car. But, no, I've never actually driven a car. Not that any other Citizens had driven one before their Death, but still. Deaths involving cars are always unpredictable. Everly is a testament to that.

It's only on the third day that an idea actually begins to take root. What if my Death happens in the Coliseum? Many great Citizens have met their end there as Gladiators. Many Gladiators are still revered in the City and even have special statues in the graveyard. How glorious a Gladiator's Death is depends on how skilled they are. Many die during their first fight. But if a Gladiator is skilled enough, they can win a few fights before they're defeated or they throw a fight. The more victories under their belt, the more reverence they're held with.

I could do that. I could be a Gladiator. I'm not sure how many fights I could win, but I'm sure I can win at least one. It's the best idea I have. By the time I've made the decision, it's just past noon. There's only one more thing I need to do before I go to the Coliseum and surrender myself as a Gladiator. Something I've been meaning to do for years now but couldn't bring myself to do. But now, as I'm practically facing death in the eye, I no longer have any qualms. I should be terrified, knowing death is so close. But I'm not.

In fact, I'm rather exhilarated.

My time has come. It's time for me to go down in a blaze of glory and bring pride to my district. I was already revered for being the youngest and the best Doctor in the City. But I'm going to continue to be revered long after death for completing one of the most glorious Deaths there is. Every Citizen has a role in the City, and they each have their own path to take. But all those paths lead to the same place. To the ultimate goal. And now it's my turn.

It's that thought that spurs me into action. If I surrender myself in the afternoon, I may even be able to have my first fight tomorrow. It will all be over soon. No more pain and no more feeling lost. Just the sweet relief of death. I only wonder if Cassie will come to watch me fight. If she does, will she bring Eliot to see me? Eliot doesn't remember his father, but maybe he'll remember me. I want him to have something to remember me by. I want him to have a reason to remember me.

But before I can surrender myself, there's a trip that I have to take. A part of the City I have to see that I've only ever seen from a distance. I keep my head down as I walk out of my apartment and onto the streets of Lucifer's district. I don't want anyone to see me. After losing my job, respect for me dwindled and all I get now are stares of pity. But that pity will be replaced by awe once I fight in the Coliseum. But, for now, I have a task I need to complete.

The walk to Behemoth's district is one I haven't taken very often. The only time I've ever done so is the one time my electricity went out and instead of sending a Messenger, I went down to the maintenance district myself. It's a long walk, one that I didn't think I'd be making again. But life can change in an instant, and the things we once held so dearly can be ripped from our grasp. It's a lesson I learned the hard way when I was six. And when I was just starting to forget that lesson, the Cardinals decided to remind me.