Chapter Twenty-Three- Macy

Now where is he going? And why is he looking like he doesn't want anyone to see him? While I was speaking to Gemma and Savannah, I was barely able to keep my eyes open. But now, seeing Atlas sneaking off into the woods, adrenaline courses through my veins, banishing the tiredness. Before I even have an end goal in mind, I follow him into the woods, keeping my distance so he won't notice me. Whatever he's doing, he wants it to remain a secret. 

And that's exactly why I'm following him. 

Before long, I realize he's heading for a part of the woods I haven't seen yet. I wonder what secrets these trees will reveal to me. I wonder what truths they can tell me. I've learned from my time in the Outside that these trees have something to say, but only to those willing to listen. Every time the wind blows, the leaves and grass whisper a language that few know. Humans can try and keep all the secrets they want, but the earth never forgets. And in time, the earth will return those secrets in full. '

As Atlas starts to slow, I match my pace with his. I walk much like Gemma, every step careful and deliberate. I check the ground for leaves and twigs, ensuring my steps are silent. I'm not going to reveal my position to him, not until I've learned what I can. I don't know how long I've been silently following him when he stops in front of a tree. I hide behind a different tree, trying to figure out what Atlas is doing here. 

From my position, I can't see anything special about the tree or the area around it. But it must mean something to him. He leans against the tree, forehead to the bark, whispering something I can't hear. After checking the ground for twigs, I take another step closer, hoping to either hear his words or see what this tree means. I get as close as I can without being visible, watching intently. He takes a deep breath, biting his cheek roughly. Without warning, he collapses to his knees and starts to sob. I now have a perfect view of the tree, and my breath hitches when I see the name carved into it. 

Skye. 

What is Atlas doing, sobbing at a tree with my sister's name carved into it? Once again, everything I think I know is being called into question. Every time I've asked, Atlas has told me he didn't really know Skye. She was his leader, and, judging by the fact that he took over after her disappearance, he was her second-in-command. They knew each other well enough to trust each other, and that was it. But if he barely knew her, then why is he here, crying under a tree that bears her name? 

"I'm so sorry, Skye... I... I tried," he says through his sobs. "I never wanted it to come to this. I tried to stop it. And I tried so hard to keep my promise." I try to keep my breathing steady. Nothing he's saying makes sense. My Mark is gone, and all of my memories have come back to me. All but one. When I try to recall the night Skye disappeared, nothing comes. Either that memory had nothing to do with my Mark, or there's something else blocking it out. 

What happened that night? And what role did Atlas play in it? But there's a question that weighs even heavier on my mind. Has Skye really been out here the whole time? I've been searching for the truth about Skye, wondering where she went and what happened to her. And, when all was said and done, she was practically under my nose? Laid to rest in the woods she used to call home? I have to know. I have to know what happened to Skye, once and for all. And Atlas is finally going to give me the truth, no matter what it is. 

"Is this where you buried her?" I ask, stepping out of the trees. Atlas whips around to face me, tears trailing down his cheeks. He gapes for a moment, both surprised at my presence and my question. 

"W-What?" he stammers. 

"Is there where you buried Skye? Has she been here this whole time?" I ask, and Atlas looks back at the tree, wiping his face. He takes a few shaky breaths, weighing his options. Balancing the need to tell me the truth and the need to keep his secrets. He looks back at me, trying to keep his tears in check. It doesn't work.