Chapter Seventeen- Macy

"Well, well, well. So it is true." The voice makes me pause mid-stretch. Atlas and I look over to see Israel sauntering towards us, a grin on his face. Atlas comes out of the stretch, already biting his inner cheek. I smile softly, both at Atlas's reaction and my relief at not having to try the one-legged stretches again. In the week since I learned about my Mark, I've gotten better at them. Better enough that Atlas doesn't have to physically adjust me anymore, but not better enough to hold them for more than a few seconds. Part of me wants to mess them up just to feel his touch again, but the other part of me knows how ridiculous that is. 

"Hey, Israel," I greet, and Israel grins over at me, giving me a slight wave before turning his attention back to Atlas. I watch the two men intently, excited to see what this interaction will bring. Taryn told me on my first day that Israel was Atlas's second-in-command, but it wasn't until later that I learned they were also best friends. Up until now, though, I hadn't had a chance to see them together in a relaxed setting. Sometimes I would see them together in passing, but for the most part, the only time I'd seen them was when I learned about Matt. And that was not exactly a relaxed setting. 

"What's true?" Atlas asks. 

"That Mr. I-Strech-Alone actually has let someone join his little morning routine," Israel answers. Atlas stares at him for a moment, before easing up on his inner cheek and giving Israel a smirk. 

"You know, it must be a day of surprises. Mr. I-Always-Sleep-In is actually awake at sunrise," he counters, and Israel laughs a little bit. 

"What can I say? Rosalie woke up early and since Annalise was already working on breakfast, my daughter made sure that I knew she was awake," Israel says with a shrug. "Rosalie ran off to spend time with her mother, and I came over here to see if the rumors were true. And they are." He crosses the distance to Atlas and throws his arm around the taller man's shoulder, looking over at me with curiosity. Atlas looks down at his friend with a look of boredom. 

"Are you here for something or are you just here to bother me?" 

"Who says it can't be both?" Israel wonders, before nodding his head toward me. "I'm just wondering what's so special about her that you're letting her stretch with you." 

"I... uh... well..." Atlas stammers and Israel's brows raise in amusement. I have to admit, mine might have done the same thing. It was a question I'd asked myself but had never voiced. I'm still not positive I want to know the answer. I'm content with keeping those emotions unspoken. I'm content with whatever relationship we have between us and not questioning it or trying to put a label on it. I'm content with the way this is now. I don't want words and questions changing it. 

"Ah, I see. Is it because...?" Israel drops his voice and speaks in Atlas's ear, hiding his next few words from me. Atlas's brows furrow and he bites his inner cheek as Israel talks before his face goes slack and his eyes go wide. He takes a step and pushes Israel away, shaking his head in disbelief. 

"I do not," he argues in a low voice. Israel bursts out laughing, and against my better judgment, I softly laugh with him. I don't know what was said and I don't need to. It's amusing enough to simply watch the two men. They certainly act like best friends, giving each other shit in such an easy manner. It's a crime I haven't gotten to see this side of them before now. An absolute crime. There are few things, I've found, more enjoyable than watching two grown adults act like absolute children around one another. 

"Are you sure?" Israel asks as Atlas glares over at him. "Because that's not what it sounded like the other night." 

"What does that mean?" Atlas questions. 

"Yeah, Israel, what does that mean?" I wonder, and Israel looks at me with a wide smile. 

"Ah, now, see?" Israel says as he walks over to me. This time, he throws his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer. At first, I'm thrown for a loop by the ease Israel has around me. We haven't talked much, but clearly, he's deemed me acceptable. Maybe it's just because of my willingness to help him tease his friend. I'm not sure that I care about the why. In the City, I didn't really have much in the way of friends, apart from Cassie. I was friendly with all of my patients, but I'm sure any of us were ever actually friends. It's a nice feeling, to have friends. And Israel seems like someone I'd want to have as a friend. "Let me tell you all about it."