Chapter Twenty-Nine- Macy

I pound against the cell door, hoping to get someone's attention. If I can just make enough noise, someone will come to check it out, and then I can beg for the medical supplies. Atlas is getting worse with every passing day, and if I can't get something to help him, he's not going to make it much longer. A day or two more, and sepsis would start to set in. I keep banging on the cell door, ignoring the protests from both Atlas and Israel. And finally, a guard comes by, and he looks less than pleased. 

"Hey! Quit banging!" he exclaims, and I wrap my hands around the bars of the door. 

"When will I get the medical supplies I was promised?" I ask, and the guard begins to laugh. 

"And why do you need those so badly, hmm?" 

"Because if I don't get them, he's going to die," I respond, pointing back at Atlas. The guard gives Atlas a look, seemingly unimpressed with my plight. He starts to laugh again, shaking his head. 

"And why should I care about that? He's the leader of the Renegades. Good riddance, if you ask me." 

"The Cardinals promised I would get those medical supplies! I don't think they want him to die, and you wouldn't want to go against their orders, now would you?" I ask, making sure to use the word "Cardinals" instead of "Vultures". If I'm going to sway the guard, I'm going to need to use the City's terms. If I speak in Renegade terms, he's not going to listen to me for very long. 

"You sure do like to talk, don't you? But maybe... just maybe, you can put that mouth of yours to better use," he says, taking a step towards me. I step back, making sure there's enough distance between me and the door that he can't reach through the bars and grab me. He chuckles darkly, taking another step to the door. "Ah, come on now, baby. You help me out, and I'll help you out. You want those medical supplies, don't you?" 

"You'd better shut your mouth!" Israel exclaims, suddenly standing up. His muscles are tense with anger, and I know that if there wasn't a cell door between him and the guard, the guard wouldn't be conscious for much longer. To be honest, I'm not positive that the cell door will be able to keep him back. 

"I wasn't talking to you, now was I?" the guard asks, before turning back to me. "You know how this works. You're a beautiful woman, and I have something you need. So why don't you come over here and show me just how much you need those medical supplies?" My breathing starts to get heavy as my heart starts to race. This isn't happening. I've heard of things like this happening, but I never believed it would happen to me. But I need those medical supplies. I can't let Atlas die. My hands ball into fists and I take a deep breath, trying to steady myself. 

"Okay," I say through my teeth. 

"No, Macy, don't," Atlas says, and I turn back to look at him. I can see the emotion on his face and the way he's pleading with his eyes. "Don't do that to yourself. I'm not worth it." 

"You are to me," I respond, taking a step toward the cell door. I turn back to the guard, sighing in relief. "I'll do whatever you want if you'll just get me those medical supplies. And I know I'm not in any position to make requests, but... please, don't make them watch."

"Well," the guard says with a laugh. "When such a pretty face makes a request, who am I to say no?" He goes to the cell door, readying himself to unlock it. Israel shifts his weight, looking like an animal ready to pounce. As soon as the guard unlocks the door to take me, Israel's going to rush him and break us both out of here. That was part of why I agreed, and why I asked to be taken to someplace Atlas and Israel couldn't see. I'm glad we're on the same page. But before the guard can finish unlocking it, he freezes. I feel it, too- that thick, inky aura in the air that signals the arrival of the Vultures.