Chapter Five- Atlas

The sun beats down on me as I make my way up the trail, sweat pouring down my back and getting into my eyes. It's been some time since I've gotten water from the river and hauled it back to camp. I honestly forgot how difficult it is. Lifting the sizeable buckets filled with water is one challenge, but carrying them back to camp? That's another problem entirely. Certain parts of the trail are steep and rocky, and it takes a certain amount of strength, balance, and endurance to make it all the way back to camp.

This typically isn't a job that falls to me. Sometimes it doesn't fall to anyone. But the rains have been few and far between, and to keep everything running, we have to go down to the river and bring water back to camp. Usually once in the morning is enough, but the heatwave we've been experiencing might force us to go down twice a day, maybe more. Everyone needs to stay hydrated in this heat, and making sure everyone stays safe is my responsibility.

Still, though, it's usually Matt who hauls the water. He's done it so many times by now that he makes it look easy, but after today, I certainly have a new respect for his task. He also prefers the solitude the hike down to the river and back offers him. Today, unfortunately, he's indisposed, and someone had to make the hike. Someone had to get water back to camp and keep everyone hydrated. I volunteered. Most everyone else already has their tasks, and I wouldn't want to take them away from that.

It's midmorning by the time I return to camp. As soon as he's available, I need to find Matt and thank him for always doing this. As I approach, a voice calls out my name, announcing my return to the entire camp. I stop for only a moment, adjusting the shoulder yoke. It's worn down to fit Matt's shoulders perfectly, but it digs into mine. Once the yoke is slightly more bearable, I finish my hike, slowly making it to the fire pits. Seems a bit oxymoronic to hand out water near the fire pits. But everyone knows where they are, and if someone is loud enough, you can hear them from anywhere in the camp.

Most of the Renegades are already gathered by the time I set the water buckets down. Once they are safely on the ground, I shrug the yoke off of my shoulders, wiping the sweat from my forehead and pushing my hair back. I take a look around, checking off a mental list, seeing if anyone is missing. If they are, I have to go find them and make sure they get some water. Only four are unaccounted for: Gemma, Savannah, Matt, and Israel. Without a single hesitation, I begin to form a battle plan.

Matt is probably with Savannah, and she usually keeps her own supply of water. If she needs more, I trust her to come get it. I'll still check on her, but that'll be the last thing on my to-do list. I haven't a clue where Israel could be, but I know who does, and she's not far from me. A quick chat with her will be the first thing checked off of my list, but that's only out of convenience. My biggest concern right now is Gemma. She goes off into her own little world sometimes. If there isn't anyone with her, Gemma could find herself in some serious trouble.

Still, though, I'm going to ask about Israel first. A quick glance and I find Annalise struggling to carry a good-sized pot while a rambunctious toddler runs circles around her. Well, I might as well see if I can help her until Israel makes his way back. I really should be looking for Gemma, but I can help Annalise right now. If something happens to Gemma in the meantime, that'll be on me. I make my way over to her, smiling when I hear Rosalie's excited giggles.

"Need some help with that?" I ask. Both Annalise's and Rosalie's eyes land on me, the latter squealing.

"Uncle Atlas!" she screams, running over and hugging my legs. That only lasts a second before she steps away, scrunching up her little nose. "You wet. And stinky." Annalise and I both laugh as Rosalie runs back to her mother, tapping a rhythm against the pot.

"I agree. You know, after making that hike, you probably deserve to stick your head in the bucket to cool off," Annalise tells me, and I shake my head.