Chapter Four- Macy

What the hell do they want now?

Part of me wants to ignore the summons. What more could they possibly want from me? They already took my job, my girlfriend, and the boy that was practically my child. What else is there? My very life? No, thank you. I'm going to be taking that on my time, on my terms. But the other part of me knows that if I do actually ignore the summons, I'll be in far deeper shit than I already am. No one ignores the wishes of the Cardinals and gets away with it. If I don't go to see them, there will be hell to pay.

That thought spurs me down the streets as I make my way to the Council. Whatever they want this time, they won't get it. I'll go to see them, sure, but if they want to take anything else from me, I'll fight. The only thing I have left to my name is my life and Death, and they won't take either of those things from me.

I take a deep breath as I enter Asmodeus's district. My anger is misplaced. I mustn't be mad at the Cardinals, not when they've done so much for me. They rescued me from the Outside, allowed me to start my apprenticeship early, and let me move back into the apartment I shared with my sister. They've made my whole life possible. If I'm to be mad at anyone, it should be me. I made the decision to save Zeke's life. I made the decision that shattered everything.

But yet, realizing that fact doesn't take the anger away. Just because the rational side of me knows it's my fault, the emotional side of me wants to lash out. I had my time lashing out at myself after everything happened with Skye, and I made a promise to myself I wouldn't punish myself for anything ever again. I guess my amygdala remembers that promise and has rerouted my anger toward the Cardinals.

And maybe it's not just the anger I'm feeling. It's betrayal. How could they have taken everything away from me when I've given so much to them? I gave them the information they wanted. I healed good Citizens and brought new life into the City. I gave them my whole life. How could they just rip it away from me like that? I sigh, knowing the answer. The Cardinals just have the City's best interest in mind and their decisions don't always make sense right away. But in time, the reason for their decisions always becomes clear. Hindsight is a beautiful and fickle thing.

By the time I come back to reality, I notice I've made it to Beelzebub's district. I just have to skirt along the border and I'll have a straight shot to the Council. This is my first time in Beelzebub's district, and I'm ready to leave. Even though I'm on the opposite end of the district, I can still see shadows of Salvia Street. The colors are bright enough that I can see the faintest glimmer from where they shine next to the wall. In the still air, I can hear the softest echo of the music coming from the studio in the middle of the district, and if I listen hard enough, I think I can hear the chaotic music coming from Salvia Street.

The border of Lucifer's district can't come soon enough. Relief fills me as I see the dark line on the concrete, Lucifer's name printed in blocky white letters every few feet to tell Citizens which district they've entered. Only another twenty or so minutes, and I can face my doom. It won't be too much longer until I find out what the Cardinals want with me this time.

Those twenty minutes go by too quickly for my liking, and before I can even process what has happened, I'm standing on the steps of the Council. Last time I was here, I lost everything. What's going to happen this time? With a deep breath, I harden my face and hold my head high. They aren't going to see me weak. When they see me, all they're going to see is a strong young woman who's taken their decision in stride. Even if I have to fake it to make it.

I walk in the door with my back held straight. When I came here last time, I was tired after an eternity in the hospital. They probably saw that weakness and used it to make their decision easier. They won't get that from me this time. I walk up to the door and wait. They'll call me when they're good and ready and not a second before.