7. Hate A Little Less

"Jace, wait!" Eros called out, eyes wide in realization as he interrupted Jace from opening the door to step out of the room with Akira in his arms.

"What?"

"Wouldn't his nightmares start to kick in soon?"

Jace's mouth fell open. He glanced back and forth from the unresponsive body in his arms to Eros. "Of course.. it was the Gaygoyle's bite.." He stated. "But then it would be better if he's in the comfort of his own room."

"Wouldn't he kill us for letting the girls see him like this? Leave girls, if anyone sees him like that, even us. "

Eros had a point. He had a strong point. Akira would hate nothing more than being vulnerable in front of someone. Someone who is not Prae.

"Nothing can be done." Jace shrugged. "We need Lyra, Aurora can't be left alone, Akari won't leave her brother's side, and we obviously won't leave him alone like this." When Eros said nothing and avoided eye contact, Jace hardened his eyes to glare at his friends.

"We won't. Right, Eros?" Even when Eros didn't reply, Jace was hell-bent on making sure that he was right. "It doesn't matter. We won't." And he exited out of the room, kicking the door open.

"Jace.." Eros ran to catch up with him. "We.. I.. don't know." He scratched his head, earning a disgusted glare from Jace. "Look, I know I sound stupid, rude even, but.. I don't want to help him. ..Any further than I already have."

Jace was caught off the guard with the sudden confession before he could even open his mouth, Eros beat him to it.

"I mean, we have done enough for him. He has had Klayene roots, so he isn't in any threat. We can leave him him on his own."

Jace didn't speak, more like he couldn't. He couldn't find the words to describe the rage and sadness bubbling inside his chest.

"I know." Eros acknowledged. "I want to help, but I'm also conflicted due to his past actions. I'm leaning more towards not helping him, even if I want to."

"Eros." Jace said as calmly as he could, without looking at the god. "I understand where you're coming from, but as I had said that day, I will say it again for you to hear. I believe in Akira way more than I believe Nevan."

Eros did nothing but stare at Jace.

"Well, I'm not denying that actual facts." Jace continued, "but I refuse to call him a criminal without knowing what actually happened."

"What else you want to know, Jace?!" Eros yelled. He knew people would hear him, but he didn't care at the moment. "Nevan came crying to us, running from the mountains! He saw what had happened! Akira even admitted that he killed Prae!" Almost immediately, Eros' eyes were damped with tears. "What else do you want to know?!"

Jace adjusted Akira in his arms, "Akira admitted, I agree. But he also pleaded on his knees to hear him out."

"Any criminal would plead on his knees!"

"Not a god!" Jace roared out loud, which caused the ground to shake for a few seconds. "Not a god, Eros. If a god commits a crime, they own it. They take the punishment. Akira isn't a human who will beg just because he was caught. He is-"

"Was." Eros cut off.

"He is a god." Jace continued with a harsh glare."And a god never pleads in fear of a punishment."

"Hah." Eros scoffed, well aware of hidden ears around them. "Forgive me to say this about your amazing friend, Jace. But he is a troublemaker. A criminal that causes disputes between his friends. You can see for yourself. It's barely been a few hours since he came in, and we both are on the verge of welding our swords at each other."