13. God Of The Dragons, Ruler Of The Storms

Standing in front of the gates, he dreaded coming here on his own will. It made him feel powerless to stand here. That he was once again bowing his head and agreeing to whatever they say even after everything that was done to him.

Akira breathed out fire, like it was cigarette smoke that had been stuck in his throat for a while. Hands inside the pocket of his dress pants, he stared at the door, debating whether he wanted to lose to the master once again or live with his pride, which will probably drown him down.

"Good to see you back."

The voice was gentle and careful, and it wasn't meant to mock him for standing here. Rather, it was to welcome him.

Akira gulped but couldn't bear to turn around to face the man to whom it belonged. He knew that if he did, he won't be able to retreat the path he came from, no matter how hard he tried.

"Akira?"

He could hear Jace stepping closer but turned away once again, staring at the ground.

A soft hand on his shoulder forced him to turn to face the man he was dreading to face.

Jace let out a soft smile, "You want to come in?"

Akira could neither bring himself to deny nor accept the offer. He wanted to prove Eros wrong. The black dragon was the greatest of all, but he has been reduced to a good for nothing criminal. Akira doesn't want that. He will be ruining the reputation of every other black dragon by living like the way he is.

But he will ruin his pride by stepping inside the castle.

It was his pride against the good old reputation of the black dragons.

"Pride never did anyone good," Jace's word made Akira snap his head up to meet his eyes. "I can tell you are way too prideful to give in to master once again. But Akira, you weren't banished forever.. you were supposed to come back after 80 years.."

Of course, Akira knew that very well. But the day he was released from the hell, he was trudging around the completely different paths and roads of the world. No one by his side, or to guide him where to go.

That day, he had reached as close as he had today. This very gate and this very conflict. And he had chosen to keep his pride with him and had turned right back, tracing the path he came from.

"Nevan was only a replacement we had for you. He can't go on any longer than he already has. It is way too much, Akira. You're too fucking overdue for your arrival. It's about time you come in and teach them who's the boss."

Akira let out a sigh, staring at the gates with a longing feeling, "I want to. I so want to come back, but I have more enemies here than allies. I've been reduced to a fucking joke. I don't think I can handle the disrespect."

"Then you show them that the great dragon can not be disrespected." Jace held a sparkle in his eyes. The same old sparkle of hope that had made the four friends move forward towards their combined goal of becoming a god.

Whenever one was losing his spirits, it'll always be Jace and his hopeful eyes that will push them to go on.

"I love your eyes." Akira stated, and Jace laughed at the compliment before he walked forward and threw open the large gates, gesturing Akira to come inside.

"After you, my lord." Throwing Jace a quick look, Akira pulled his hands out of the pocket, adjusted the shirt he wore, and stepped forward.

The gates closed behind them, and Akira finally looked around the unchanged castle in the broad day light this time.