-5-

After our call the previous night I had done extensive research on him when I got home. He seemed like the type to be so vain that if he asked you a personal fact about himself and you failed to answer him, he would kick you out. I found out that he worked with high profile magazines and artists. We were on the top floor of the building and there was a massive skylight in the room and dozens of bright lights against a pristine white background. There was a bar on the left and a makeup station on the right. As well as what looked like dressing rooms.

A huge desk with digital gadgets and papers and notebooks, highlighters and all sorts of office stationery was close to the sliding doors that led to a balcony where there was an infinity pool.

The room was quiet, and it was then that I realised Gordon had been staring at me. He had a confused expression on his face.

"Who are you to Taesung?" he asked me looking deep in thought. I shrugged.

"We don't know each other very well but he is my sponsor." He looked taken aback. Forgetting my earlier resolution, I had decided to tell him how I knew Taesung. Something had told me that if I wasted this man's time by not being blunt, he would kick me out without a second thought.

"Bonus question, where was my first studio and who was my first client?"

"Broadacres County, but then you closed that location after 2 weeks because your 'select' clientele would never "slum it there", according to your biography. So, your first true location was 155 West Street, and your first client was Miley Cyrus." He looked impressed. I had actually learned that from a podcast interview he had done recently, that I had listened to on my way to his studio.

"Wow, we have someone who can read and kiss ass in our midst," he said sardonically. He was quiet for a moment, still staring at me with a confused expression on his tanned face.

"A black girl," he said scratching his chin in thought then he shrugged and told me to go to makeup and take my hideous outfit off. He had called a stylist to pull some professional attire for me. Eight hours later and we had amazing headshots of different styles. Gordon had someone print out a portfolio for me and send me digital copies as well.

When I got home, I was exhausted and climbed into bed after making some cereal. My phone rang and without checking the caller ID I answered.

Big mistake. I hadn't realised it was facetime.

"You look rough," a voice crooned from the device. A voice I had only heard a few times. I froze as realization dawned on me and I registered who was on the phone. I had just answered as I was scrolling through Netflix on the tv looking for something to watch.

"Taesung, what a pleasure", I said putting down my remote and giving him my full attention. He was wearing a crisp linen shirt and seemed to be in an office background. "If I hadn't seen these images that Voss sent over, I would've thought that the reason you can't get booked is because you're very plain looking," he said smiling mischievously. I gave him a fake smile and responded to his snarkiness with my own.

"Your backhanded compliment melts my heart sir as long as you're happy massa." He rolled his eyes.

"Can you actually act?"

"Fuck you! If you had bothered to read my resume, you would've seen that I have a degree in performative arts you prick. I graduated in the top percentile of my class."

"Yet here you are, begging me to assist you because you can't even get an ad promotion job."

"I never begged you for shit," I said losing my patience and politeness.