𝟑𝟎| 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭: 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬. 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦?

"𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐬' 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐭, 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭?" Ray questioned.

   Emma panicked inside. She didn't ever realize since the woman seemed so human, considering her size and shape. Y/n, on the other hand, noticed that she was a demon. But she found it odd that if they had been asleep for so long, wouldn't they have already been eaten?

   "Well? Why did you go to all this trouble for mere cattle like us?"

   A deeper, masculine voice spoke from behind them, "hey Musica, you've gone too far. You always take the wrong approach."

   "That's why you came to help?" Musica asked, "but your timing's pretty bad, you know!"

   "What's the matter with them? They look awful." The second hooded figure leaned in, trying to get a good look of the three teenagers.

   "Why... did you help..." Ray emphasized.

   "They're like that because you're hovering over them with that thing, Sung-Joo. The poor things are terrified!"

   "Nonsense. What about the little ones over there? Though, sure, I do recommend taking care not to touch it!"

   "Why are you demons hel-" Ray started before getting cut off by Y/n's voice.

   "Where are the children?!"

   "Y-Y/n!" Emma called after her, chasing her.

   "Heh heh heh," Sung-Joo laughed, "about your question, then. Why would we demons save you, eh... 'demons'. How nostalgic. Yes, we used to be called that..."

   Y/n sprinted through the cave, praying she didn't sleep too long, praying that her siblings weren't hurt. She ran towards an illuminated part of the cave and stopped at the opening, panting as she watched her sibling talk amongst themselves.

   "Y/n!" They shouted, "Y/n woke up! I'm so happy!"

   "Hey! Careful with her," Gilda reprimanded.

   "Is everyone fine?"

   "Yup!"

   Not too far behind, Emma, Ray, Musica, and Sung-Jae followed. Musica smiled, "we really don't mean to add to your troubles. I'm Musica, and this is Sung-Joo. We don't eat humans. So relax, we don't have any intentions of harming your friends."

   The group gathered around a simmering pot, Sung-Jae responsible for serving it in the bowls. Dominic handed a bowl to Ray which looked different from the rest. "Ray broke the cup when we got trapped by the tree, so Sung-Joo made this one for us!" Rossi explained as the three eldest looked into their bowls suspiciously.

   "What's the meaning of this?" Ray asked, "they're acting way too intimate." Ray turned to the noise of loud slurping next to him which turned out to be Y/n eating the soup without haste, "Y/n we don't know if-"

   Gilda interrupted him, "we ate some earlier today, and so far it seems like it's safe. I think if they wanted to do something to us, they'd would've done it already."

   "More importantly, it's thanks to them that you guys are back with us!" Don added, "let's believe our saviors."

   "Blessed and pure is this aliment, and blessed are us who now partake of it. With gratitude to all life in heaven and earth we say, thank you for the meal," prayed the demons.

   Y/n lifted her head up and looked like a deer in headlights, embarrassed that she ate before she was supposed to, "...thank you for the meal..."

   "Thank you for the meal!" Everyone shouted, munching away at the soup.

   Ray still looked at the soup skeptically and Y/n noticed, "eat up Ray. It's really good! If it was poisoned I'm sure we could taste it, but I don't taste anything odd." She smiled at him, "you need your energy, we just went through a lot and we need to recuperate quickly!"

   He nodded, smiling back at the girl, she's cute... "okay..."

   After everyone ate, the younger children grew tired. Ray, Emma, and Y/n put them to bed, tucking them in and softly petting their hair to lull them to sleep. Y/n kissed the top of Yevette's head and got up, meeting with the other two. "Let's go," Emma stated.

   They found Sung-Joo by the fire they used to cook the soup, "so you're still awake?"

   "Can we talk now?"

   "Can't see why not. You three were running around last night and didn't sleep properly, yes? You should stay put and rest until you recover fully."

   Y/n nodded, "yes, later we're going to sleep a full night again. Thank you. And also... I'm sorry we doubted you earlier. Even though you saved us from them."

   "I'm sorry as well," Emma nodded, "I just assumed that all demons were eating humans. It didn't even cross my mind that some might be friendly."

   "Don't fret. You have good reason to be skeptical. I understand your concerns. Human meat is something of value to mm... 'demons'. The brain above all. Those like us are awfully few. Most 'demons' will drool at the sight of your flesh and crave to sink their teeth in it. You do well in assuming they're all out to eat you."

   "Then why are you two..." Ray started.

   "Faith. Our religion is against the eating of human beings. Only human beings, however. Other than humans, I can and will eat anything. We're what our society calls 'heathens'. They who own the farms and their ideology, their authority, their entire enterprise... I couldn't care less for the whole of it. Just keep me out of it. The reason why I've saved you humans is simple curiosity. It's been quite some time since I could have a nice talk with your kind. It's a rare opportunity. These days, it's rare enough to see living humans even on the plantations, much less..." He noticed the confused looks on the children, "what's the matter? I'm sure this is what you came here for."

   "Could you tell us, please? What happened to humankind? What's going on with the world?" 

--------------------------------------------

𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫

--------------------------------------------