𝟑𝟏| 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭: 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐧, 𝐬𝐨 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐝.

𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐠-𝐉𝐚𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐚𝐭, knowing that the explanation could be quite long, "nothing."

   "What do you mean 'nothing'?" Y/n asked.

   "There's nothing in particular. I have no idea how you came up with thirty years. But, the world has been like this for a long, long time."

   "What?"

   "Could it be..." Ray mumbled, "that this isn't earth at all?"

   Emma raised an eyebrow, "huh?"

   "If this planet isn't earth, it would explain the absurd biology we have been seeing."

   "Nay."

   "The calendar dates then? The dates were a lie, too? We're not it 2046 at all, but much-"

   "Nay. We're on planet earth, yes, and precisely in the year 2046. Well, according to a certain human reckoning, at least."

   "But then, why? How?"

   "I'll tell you the stories of old. When the world was much bigger than it is today. It was a great wide world indeed. Back then there were no 'plantations'. The land was large and full of humans. And the 'demons' could just prey on them and survive. The 'demons' were the hunters, and the humans, the hunted. Some humans feared those beings and worshiped them. Others grew vengeful and they themselves became the hunters. In fear of being eaten, these humans ended up killing large swathes of 'demons'. Who, in turn, started to actively begrudge the human race, too. Endless massacres ensued. Both sides lived in terror. Finally, when neither one could bear the destruction any longer, a proposal came from the human side. It was a treaty in which the humans would not hunt the 'demons' and the 'demons' wouldn't hunt the humans. The world was divided. That's when it all started. That promise. Because of this promise, you, the plantation children, are a parting gift left behind by your ancestry, when they fled the 'demon' side."

   "Left behind?" They gasped.

   "Since the promise prevented the 'demons' from hunting, they've thenceforth been keeping you as livestock. The 'plantations' are institutions responsible for managing cattle. Grace Field is considered to be of the very best grade. It's been some thousand years since the contract was sealed. Nothing much has changed since then. I'm afraid such is the world... that you've escaped into. That you were born into."

   They thought to themselves. The worst case is if there's no place at all for humans to live in this world. No matter how far we run... It's simply no place for humans to live. We've worked so hard to find out the truth.. So that's it.

   "Ray..." Emma muttered.

   "Yeah..."

   The three smiled and cheered, "Oh, yes! We can do it!" Y/n shouted, "it's the worst case, but! But! But then after that..!"

   "Right! A lot's still up in the air, but the situation's way better than I could've ever expected!"

   "Hmm?!" Sung-Joo exclaimed.

   Emma nodded, "there is a place for humans after all! There's another world somewhere, and it's safe from demons!"

   "Yeah! We have a reason to go back for Phil and the others- somewhere to take them!"

   Sung-Jae solemnly interrupted them, "ah.. Nay.. I hate to ruin your hopes, but... there's no way to cross into the human world. The pathways were completely shut down. 'There shall be no crossing from either side.' That rule was also part of the contract, meaning-"

   Y/n shook her head and looked at her friends in triumph, "it's okay. We'll find a way. We just gotta find out how to cross over. Those small details are not stopping us. Thank you, Sung-Joo! I feel way better now!"

   "Is that so? That's good then. Ah, it's already much too late. Go to sleep."

   They nodded, "okay!"

   "Starting tomorrow, we'll teach you how to pass through this forest, at least. Under our guidance, you'll be sure to leave it safely."

   "Thank you so much! Have a good night," Y/n smiled, waving at the man before leaving with the other two.

   Emma pulled out the pen, "we have to find Minerva. We were right about that"

   "Liberation. Let's bring everyone and break out of this demons' world," Ray added.

   They approached where Emma had woken up and bid her a goodnight. "Goodnight, Emma," Y/n hugged the girl, "sleep well!"

   "You too!" She hugged back and gave another hug to Ray.

   "'Night, Emma," the boy said before tugging Y/n back to where they slept the night before.

   They stared at the one makeshift bed and then each other. "Er.. I can.. Make a bedroll somewhere else," Y/n offered.

   He shook his head and pulled her onto the bed, "it's fine. It'll be like the 'sleepovers' we had back home."

   "Okay.."

   "What? Don't tell me youre getting all shy around me, now. Don't you remember, you were the one who kissed me first, shouldn't I be the one getting all nervous?"

   The h/c girl blushed, "I-..." she sighed and rushed to lay down. She pulled the blankets over her head and faced away from the boy.

   "So you're ignoring me?" He smirked and shook his head, dimming down the lantern and adjusting himself into bed, "fine! Have fun freezing your butt off tonight!" He pulled the sheets off the girl and wrapped them around himself, letting her shiver.

   "Hey!"

   "Huh? What was that? Must've been the wind..."

   "Not funny, Ray! Come on... it's freezing here..." she whined.

   Don't give in. Stay strong.

   "Ray..." she gently shook the ravenette and pulled his shoulder so he'd have to look at her. She put on her best puppy dog eyes and pouted, "you wouldn't let me freeze all night, would you..?"

   Don't look at me like that.

   "Pretty please..." Y/n dragged the last syllable.

   You'll never win this fight, Ray. Just look at her. Those eyes? How could you say no? He sighed and gave in, untangling the blankets and laying them over her. Y/n laughed in victory until the boy dragged her closer to him, holding her close.

   "Wha-"

   "Like you said, it's freezing, and you're warm. My personal little heater..." he mumbled, kissing the top of her head and resting his chin on it.

   Y/n grumbled but was too comfortable to refuse. She finally accepted that they'd end up in a tie and let her head rest by his chest. "Goodnight, Ray..." she muttered before her eyes fluttered shut, letting sleep overtake her.

   "Goodnight, Y/n," he responded, pulling her just a little closer before following her into the dream world.

   Sung-Joo had overheard the whole exchange on his way to his quarters and smiled to himself. I'm glad that despite their odds and everything they'll have to endure, they can find comfort in each other. I'm rooting for you two. I'm rooting for your family. Please find that escape and live on.

--------------------------------------------

𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫

--------------------------------------------