ELEVEN : THEIR "TRUTH"

Over a year passed, and the time I was dreading since Harry and Meghan left the family sadly came. Their interview with Oprah Winfrey was announced in February of 2021 & for these few weeks leading up to it, my mind was going at a million miles per hour. "What will they say ?", "what will they lie about ?", "what exactly is their plan ?" - questions like these would not stop running through my mind.

The anxiety I was experiencing due to Harry's actions was still there, but I was trying to bury it in my head as much as I possibly could.. that was until a few days before the interview. My grandfather was admitted to hospital & the teasers for the interview came out at the exact same time.. I had two concerning matters to deal with & I couldn't handle it any longer. I began to cut off food and sleep, it even got worse on the eve of the interview. I laid on the bed that night with my eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling.. every few hours Catherine would wake up to find me still awake, she would try to calm me down but to no avail. I eventually got out of bed in the middle of the night, and unlike what I had promised my grandmother.. I turned on the tv to watch the interview on its first airing on American television.

We're a racist family, Catherine is a heartbreaker who made poor Meghan cry, and we neglected Meghan's mental health to the point she became suicidal.. of course these weren't the only infuriating statements mentioned in the interview, but they're the three statements that stood out to me most, because they were the most ridiculous. I believe that by this point, whoever is reading this would know three things very well.. how much my family tried to be welcoming towards Meghan, how much Meghan was actually the one to break Catherine's heart & how much Meghan was the villain rather than the victim when it came to ruining people's mental health.

••

I went back to bed after the longest two hours of my life, that doesn't mean I was able to sleep but, at least I rested my body until the morning when my wife and children woke up.

By that point, snippets from the interview began to go all over the internet and the news & the attack from those supporting Harry and Meghan was inevitable. I tried to protect Catherine from seeing the hate being thrown towards her, but it was almost impossible, it was too intense this time.. I wanted to punch everyone saying she's a heartbreaker, everyone shaming her for being once called "waity katie" & everyone who was yet again sending her death threats.

Later that day I found her sitting outdoors, I went towards her only to find her crying on her own.. I didn't really know what to do, so I just sat on the other side of the bench & extended my hand to her so she can hold it. After a moment I began reassuring her that everything being said about her is absolute nonsense, but her response shocked me.. "it's not this that hurts, it's the fact that I feel like I'm back to these gloomy days when the media would tear me apart and everyone on the streets would have an opinion about me.. I thought this phase was over, I really did" - she said. I then moved closer towards her and wrapped my arm around her, she laid her head on my chest, I began apologizing, she was quick to silence me.

We sat like that for what felt like an eternity.. and then all of a sudden Catherine looked me in the eyes and said : "all what is said about you is absolute nonsense too, you're an amazing man.. especially an amazing son, even before you're an amazing husband to me. She sees everything for how it actually is & she knows, she would be proud of you !".  I didn't really say anything, I only looked back at her eyes and at this moment I knew I was looking at my soulmate.. she knew the comment that hurt me most & she was comforting me about it, telling me exactly what I needed to hear without me asking for it.

••

Somehow, that day passed and the interview was aired on British television the day after, which meant that it was time for us as a family to respond. My grandmother's wish was to watch the interview with the rest of the British population before releasing the official statement.

On the afternoon of that day, the family already had a draft ready for the statement, but something was missing ! That led Catherine and I to have a casual meeting on the sofa with our officials to discuss how to deal with such allegations & we settled on that the statement must include a serious and strong line to hint that what my brother and his wife have accused us of is false. That was when Catherine pressed that the famous statement "recollections may vary" - which was originally suggested by my new private secretary - must be used.

And so the next day, the statement was issued & even though many didn't believe the sentence that my wife insisted on mentioning at first, it still holds its value & it is becoming more true by the day, making a lot of people believe it the more the truth comes out.