𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐢𝐱 | 𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐧 𝐊𝐢𝐝...

_________________________

𝐓he silence of the compound was deafening

𝐓he silence of the compound was deafening. Katniss and Finnick sat side by side waiting for the news of their return. The only sound being the of rope softly rubbing against itself as Finnick fiddled with it in his hands and tied continuous knots with it. Neither one shared a word, but both shared the same thoughts. They had no idea what to expect when they returned. If they'd be the same, half dead, or if they'd return in general.

𝐈t was quiet. Too quiet. Not to mention dark. Each room was lit with a dim orange light that bounced off Finnick's face, perfectly outlining his precise jawline. There was also an awful chill that ran through the underground district. There had always been an odd cold feeling but now they had felt it more than ever. "They're gonna be alright" Finnick finally spoke, filling in the awkward silence. Katniss looked at him confused. "Peeta, Quinn, Johanna, They're gonna be okay" He confirmed, looking up to meet her gaze.

"𝐘ou don't know that" The girl said pessimistically while shaking her head. The worry undeniably evident in both her voice and expression. "Yeah I do" He replied. "I know because they're fighters". "And because they're strong" He sent her a reassuring smile to which she returned before allowing a tear to roll down her cheek. "Im so scared Finnick" She admitted. "I'm terrified that when he co— If, If he comes back.." She corrected. "That I wont be able to recognise him" She continued as exhausted and strained tears now streamed down her cheeks.

"𝐈t's different for you. Quinn...She's tough, she's used to this kind of pain" Finnick stared at her pitifully. "I'm sure she'll survive but.. but Peeta—" She stopped herself before her soft cries could turn into ugly crocodile tears. She held her head in her right hand as Finnick placed his over her left and gave it a little squeeze. "He's just a kid, I'm just a kid!" She said louder. "We shouldn't have to be dealing with all of this" She cried again.

"𝐈 understand.." Finnick replied, "No finn-" Katniss argued. "—Yes I do, I really do understand!" He argued back. "The truth is, I'm exhausted. I'm tired of waking up each day and wondering what's happening to her right now, if she's even alive!" He choked back tears. "You may think she's strong, that she can handle it. But just because she carry's it well doesn't mean it's not heavy" The man continued. "I've seen her break down, I've seen her fall and trust me it isn't pretty" He chuckled not so humorously.

"𝐀ll I can do is have hope. That's the only thing keeping me from falling apart" Finnick finished while giving her hand one last hopeful squeeze and a smile before dropping her hand her returning to tying his knots. And with that silence once again fell upon them and they both returned to staring mindlessly at the floor.

𝐓he sliding door of the small pod the two sat was opened, revealing Haymitch. "They're back" He confirmed. Katniss was the first to jump from her seat and into action. Finnick followed hurriedly behind. The three ran through the halls and into the small hospital wing. The sound of an angry female and equipment being tossed around was what drew Katniss' attention. As she ran around the corner to see the face of an all too familiar women from district 7. "Johanna" She spoke although it was probably more like a breath.

𝐉ohanna managed to shoot the younger girl a snarky grin through her pain. Her head had been shaved and she looked severely malnourished. Something behind Katniss then seemed to catch Johanna's attention, as she leaned forward to see what it was. "Is that—" The girl began but was cut off by a voice a lot more powerful than hers. "Out of our way!" A sharp yell shouted through the chaos as all heads turned to see what had caused such a scene. Multiple doctors all gathered around one bed while dragging it through the crowd into another room. Both Katniss and Finnick followed to try and get a glimpse of who the patient was.

𝐀s Finnick lifted his head just enough to catch a single feature of the unknown person. A dark haired women came into view and his eyes immediately widened. "Move!" He yelled while violently pushing one of the nurses away. Frankly, he didn't give a fuck if she was alright or not he was desperate to know if the women fit the description of the one he had been searching for. "Quinn.." He whispered as his eyes fell upon the girl on the bed. Katniss gasped, quickly covering her mouth afterwards, as she took in her appearance.

𝐒he was wet, and bruised, and her skin was almost a different shade. There were multiple scars on her legs, arms, stomach, and she was unconscious. As they entered another room, locking the door behind them. Much to Finnick's distaste. "What are you doing?! Let me in!" He protested as Haymitch held him back. "You can't.." Haymitch argued as Finnick soon turned violent and began kicking and elbowing the older man like a child, attempting to escape his grasp.

"𝐋et me go! Stop it!" He grunted, screaming hysterically. "Don't be an idiot Finnick!" Haymitch yelled back to which only angered the younger man more. "I need to see her! Let me see her!" He yelled desperate as his eyes began to water and he was on the verge of breaking down. With one strong shove Haymitch was now on the ground and Finnick, free from his restrains.

𝐖ithout a second thought Finnick barged into the room, with some guards hot on his trail. His eyes widened to an inhuman size and he almost passed out seeing Quinn on the verge of death lying on the hospital bed with a needles in her arms and a tube down her throat. "Quinn!" He yelled while running to her. Just before he made it to her side he was tackled to the ground by soldier and stabbed in the neck with a needle. "No! No!" The boy from 4 yelled profusely. "Let me go..No..Quinn.." He said in a hushed voice while tears rolled down his cheeks.

𝐇e then sunked into the ground, trying his absolute best to stay awake. As his eyelids grew heavier and his breathing calmed down he closed his eyes. The last thing he saw before passing out being Quinn's body violently shaking while her heart monitor declined rapidly.

|𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐧 𝐊𝐢𝐝..|