f i v e

WHO IS KNOCKING on my door this early in the morning?

Everyone knows I have never been a morning person, especially on my days off. So whoever is standing behind that door has a death wish and this will only end one way—slamming the door in their face. Unless they brought me coffee, which I will take and then slam the door in their face.

Grumbling, I stumble out of bed at the consistent knocking. At first, I hoped they would take the hint and go away, but I wasn't that lucky. Pulling my shorts down that have ridden up, I glance down at my thin tank top and booty shorts and sigh. Hopefully, it's Thalia or my elderly next-door neighbor needing help.

I'm also ninety-nine percent sure my hair looks like a bird's nest, a fiery red one.

The knocking continues and just makes me angrier. I huff out a frustrated breath before reaching up to look through the peephole and I sigh, resting my head against the door as I see Easton on the other side.

He knocks again and I unlock the door, flinging it open with force and a very pissed off look on my face. I hold on to the door before rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

A sheepish smile covers his face as he holds a coffee in one hand and a paper bag in the other. I watch as his eyes roam over my body, clearly noticing my lack of clothing and when his eyes reach mine once again I see something in them, but it disappears, and a smile tilts at the corner of his lips.

It had not been nearly enough time between when I agreed to be his fake girlfriend and seeing him again. After all, I was hoping to avoid him for a little longer after my pride took a hit that I can't do this by myself and need his help. I could have avoided him until tomorrow as that is when we are all going out for the day on a boat trip.

"Has being away for the past five years made you forget I don't like mornings?" I ask him, squinting my eyes into a glare that doesn't seem to phase him. After all, he had been on the receiving end of them growing up and was more than likely immune to them now.

"No, I remember," he admits, shrugging his shoulders.

"Then do you have a death wish?" I ask crossing my arms. His eyes dip slightly at the movement before he clears his throat, his eyes snapping back to mine.

"Would it help if I said I brought you a double espresso shot and breakfast?" he says, holding them both out to me as a peace offering.

I raise my eyebrow before reaching out to take the drink and breakfast. "No."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Same old Gabs."

I sigh before taking a sip of the espresso. That hits strong for the morning after only just waking up. "What are you doing here, Easton? I just saw you last night, and I was really hoping to avoid you for a bit longer first."

"I know I'm not your favorite person in the world—"

He begins and I mutter, "understatement."

"—but I thought it would be best for us to spend some time together and at least be civil where we can make it seem believable. After all, that picture I posted blew up and there are already a ton of questions," Easton explains, rocking back on his heels.