n i n e

THE SUNLIGHT STREAMED through the curtains of my bedroom window

I blinked away the harshness of the sun, as I burrowed further into my pillow before I stretched my body out, content, and happy after the actions of last night. I let out a sigh as I reached my hand out to the other side of the bed.

My hand patted the other side but came up empty. I lifted my head to see the other side empty, the covers rumpled and no sign of East.

I looked around the room to find no sign of clothes anywhere and before I could even have the thought he may have gone for coffee or breakfast, my eyes landed on a folded-up piece of paper on the pillow.

My hands shook as I picked it up. I sat up and tucked the duvet around me to cover myself as I opened it.

Red,

I'm sorry.

I lied when I said I leave for the tour in a week. In fact, I leave today. I didn't want to say goodbye to you because I don't think I could.

I know you will probably hate me for this and you should.

I meant what I said when I said you were never just my best friend.

I hope one day you can forgive me.

Easton.

Snapping out of my flashback as someone bumps into me, I roll my eyes as they keep on walking, and I sigh before carrying on looking through the books and magazines in the airport store. Our flight to Australia is a long one, and I know I need to stop up on materials as best as I can since the air between Easton and me at the moment is strained.

While I was mad that he kissed me without telling me, it was more so the fact that I wanted to keep as much of a distance between us as I could, and he broke that. It brought back memories of our night together but also our time before any of that happened where we were friends.

The emotions were too much.

I scoff as I pull out a magazine, seeing the picture of Easton and me kissing on the beach on the front page. Turning it around so the back is facing where people are walking past so they can't see it, I take my books and head to the cashier.

Once they've been paid for, I make my way through the airport back to where Easton is sitting at our gate, not having moved since I left twenty minutes ago. Sitting down in my seat next to him, I place my bag with my carry on things.

"Find anything good?" he asks, his voice deep yet soft as he leans down in his seat with a baseball cap covering his face.

"Some books and I drew devil horns on your face on a magazine we're on," I tell him with a smirk on my face and I feel him look at me from under his cap.