t w e n t y - e i g h t

EVERYONE IS ACTING strange

More so than usual.

For the past day, Thalia, Atlas and even June, whom I went to go see, have been acting strange. Sharing looks, sneakily trying to look at their phones. Even now I am behind the counter making coffee for me and Thalia as she sits at a table in the shop, looking at her phone, texting, but her eyes keep darting up to me. As if checking when I am coming back over.

Weird.

Grabbing our coffees and making my way back to the table, I slide hers towards her before sitting down in the seat opposite her.

"Okay, why have you all been acting strange for the past day?" I ask her, raising my eyebrows as I rest my arms on the table.

"What do you mean?" she asks innocently, putting her phone away and I give her a 'really' look.

"Seriously? You and Atlas have been sharing glances, checking your phones a lot, and positioning them away from her. Even June was acting strange," I explain to her. "You know, if you're all trying to just hide talking to Easton from me, you don't have to. I'm fine with you all still talking to him and talking about him. You don't have to censor yourselves."

"You caught us," Thalia says with a smile. "We just didn't want to upset you by bringing him up."

I nod my head. "Well, it's fine. I know you're all still going to talk to him."

"Have you talked to him?" she asks and I shake my head.

"No, I thought of maybe reaching out after he did the interview just to see how everyone was taking it, but I wasn't ready," I explain to her.

"Do you think you could forgive him?" she asks.

"In time? Yeah. I know his heart was in the right place. He just wanted to help me to make sure I didn't lose everything. I just wish he told me himself. After all, we were in a good place, slowly starting to get somewhere and yeah I would have been hurt but not as much as it did finding out from his agent," I say and she nods.

"Guys are dumb," she says and I laugh, nodding my head. "What are your plans now you are back?"

"I'll continue to run this place," I say, gesturing around me. "There aren't a lot of marine biologist options around here, but maybe while I run this place I can publish a few papers, do some research on sea life."

"Will you miss all the traveling?" she asks and I nod.

"It was cool, seeing new places, different oceans," I say, and she nods. "How about you? Now that I'm back and you don't have to run this place."

She shrugs and looks around. "I kind of liked it. I'll go back to running my lessons full time, but I've gotten great at coffee art, so don't be surprised if someone comes in asking for my coffee."