t w e n t y - s e v e n

AFTER GABI WENT home, my winning streak immediately turned into a losing streak

My head wasn't in.

Day in and day out my thoughts were on Gabi, what I had done to hurt her, the fact she had left and probably would never talk to me ever again.

Doing the interview and admitting to the world everything wasn't to try to win her back. I felt like I owed everyone and myself the truth to own up to my own mistakes.

It's been lonely without her on the tour with me, going back to empty hotel rooms, being in an empty bed, not going to different places around the city with her.

Atlas has been keeping me updated with how she is, vague replies, but enough to let me know she is okay, well, as okay as she can be.

I have lost yet another competition as I make my way up the beach. I ignore everyone, including the reporters who are dying, to ask me questions about my interview.

Sighing in relief as I get away from everyone, I place my board in my cubby hole as I start to take my rash guard off to dry off before I can head back to the hotel.

Sitting down, I take my phone out and run my finger over Gabi's contact information, but eventually decide against it and put my phone away, knowing she probably won't answer even if I called.

The winner of the competition, who I was surfing against, follows in and starts to put his stuff away.

"Nice try today," he tells me, and I nod, congratulating him. "You've been off your game, going from winning streak to a losing streak."

I chuckle. "Yeah, I've got a lot going on. It's just getting to me."

"The girl we had been seeing around? The redhead?" he asks and I nod. "Where she at?"

"She went home," I tell him. "I kind of fucked things up."

"Sorry to hear that, man. Everyone could tell you were on your game, even more than usual when she was around," he tells me and I nod. "Think you can get her back?"

I shake my head. "Honestly, I'm not sure."

"Well, for what it's worth, I hope you do. Even if that means losing to you again. I'd rather win against you when you're on your game," he says and I laugh. "You coming out with some of us tonight?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm good, not my scene anymore."

He nods his head in understanding. "Good luck winning your woman back."

I nod and grab my stuff to head back to the hotel. Reporters hound me as soon as I get out, asking me about my losing streak, Gabi and then one reporter asks when I will move on. I look at them in disbelief before stopping.

"Look, what is just fun for you is my life. I hurt the woman I love and all you want is a story. Meanwhile, I just want her back," I say to them before barging through them, and I sigh as I see Victoria standing at her a rental car, leaning her back against it.

She places her sunglasses over her head and crosses her arms.

"Want me to take care of them?" she asks, looking pointedly at them, and I shake my head.

"I'm sure that would just give them more of a story. You know you don't have to stay with me. You can head home. I'm fine," I tell her as I stop in front of her.

She scoffs. "No, you're not. You're also an idiot, but you're not okay."

"Gee thanks," I say before throwing my stuff in the back seat of the car and getting into the passenger seat. "Think I'm going to head back to the hotel."

She sighs and starts the car. "Easton, look, I'm your friend, but I'm also your agent. I'm getting calls from your sponsors, so whatever you need to do to fix this, do it or else you'll lose your career along with the woman you love."

✺✺✺

The whisky burns down the back of my throat as I stand on the balcony, smiling as I watch videos of Gabi on my phone, ones that we had taken over the course of the tour. Some of us were in bed laughing and being silly with each other.

I sigh before clicking off my photos and going onto Atlas's contact details to call him.

He picks up the phone. "How is Mr. Lovesick doing today?"

"Is this nickname ever going to get old?" I ask him and I know he is shaking his head at me.

"Nope. After all, it's not every day I see you like this," he says, and I chuckle.

"How is she?" I ask, referring to Gabi.

"The same since you asked me yesterday. She's just like you, lovesick," he tells me.

"I don't know how to fix this. I can surf, I can teach someone to surf, but I don't know how to fix what I've done," I admit to him. "An apology won't cut it."

"It won't, but it won't hurt either. All she needs is to know you will fight for her and spend as long as it takes making things up to her," he explains.

"Hard to do when we're a million miles apart," I say.

"Well, what's more important to you? The tour? Or Gabi?" he asks, letting me stew in my thoughts. "I've got to go, but think it over."

He puts the phone down, and I sigh, looking over the balcony, and I know my answer.

Gabi.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

A U T H O R  N O T E

Bit of a shorter chapter for this one in his POV.

He's ready to get her back...

Also quick question and I would love if you guys could comment and let me know! The banners at the start of the chapters, can you see whose POV it is? Either on phone/laptop whatever you read on. It's been brought to my attention it's hard to read because of the background. The background and the text do blend because of the colour but readability wise just want to check if they can be read.

 The background and the text do blend because of the colour but readability wise just want to check if they can be read