Wattpad Original
Ada 25 bab gratis lagi

Ch 2: Lex

If you told me 24 hours ago I would soon be in America claiming my soon-to-be wife, I would have laughed in your face. I'm not exactly the marrying type, despite what Papa thinks. Being the head of the family is my birthright, but it comes with conditions, one being marriage. I've been groomed my entire life to become the head of the Valentino family, going through mental, emotional, and physical abuse to become the man I am today. At the age of ten, I had my first kill, even if it was by accident. Papa praised me, nonetheless. I will always remember that drunk American, Cole James. His life ending was the beginning of mine.

Now, Papa is going to end my life with familia unless I marry the woman of his choosing, even though he doesn't have the best track record. My younger brothers Matteo and Rafael both had arranged marriages and let's just say both women are fish food. So, I wasn't exactly thrilled to have Papa play matchmaker for me.

When I got off the jet two days ago, I knew I would be standing before a Marchetti, just not this one. I arrived in America with the intention of sealing a deal with the Marchetti's to use their shipping docks for importing goods over the next year or so, just until the FEDs were not hovering over the Valentino's shoulders. Going into business with the Marchetti's wasn't any better than having the FEDs bust us, but beggars can't be choosers.

The Marchetti's are the lesser evil of the two.

I've never been a fan of the Marchetti's, but the infamous Caterina Marchetti is now my wife-to-be. I would have preferred a temporary partnership and somehow, Gio and Papa thought a permanent partnership would be better. Don't get me wrong, Caterina is breathtaking—she just has a reputation I don't care to deal with, and I've never had to deal with Marchetti's before. I never understood why Papa would want to do business with them. They've become too Americanized for my liking and too flashy. Yet, the main mastermind behind the shipping docks is whom I need to be talking to.

"Did you even hear a word I said?" Caterina's eyes shot daggers at me.

"Would you believe me if I said yes?"

"Of course not. Now listen and listen well. You are not—"

I grabbed a hold of her arm, pulling her into my chest. My free hand grips her chin, forcing her to look at me. Her eyes widen, and I see for a quick second the fear within them before I'm greeted with her glittery red eyeshadow.

"Open your eyes. I'm not going to kiss you."

As expected, her eyes fly open, and there's that defiant look.

"Now that I got your attention, I want to make a few things clear. One, you don't make the rules or call the shots, I do. Two, I don't take kindly to disrespect. And three, you will listen to me when I tell you what to do unless you want to meet Jesus early."

"Are you threatening me?"

"I only make promises and never break them. So, Caterina, please do remember that." Letting her go, I step back, stuffing my hands into my pocket. I've spent more than enough time with the princess for the night. I need to speak with her brother. I came here for business after all. I give her a second to say whatever smartass remark is coming my way, but she just glares at me. I let my eyes roam her body once more and turn around.

"Hello? Are you leaving?" She calls out, and a smirk tugs at my lips.

"Coniglietta, I have business to attend to. Enjoy the rest of your night."

"I'm not a fucking bunny!" She snaps, and I let out a laugh as I walk back into the ballroom. That's one thing she and I can agree on. Caterina is no bunny; she is known as the Ice Queen. I've heard stories about her but never cared to investigate. Honestly, I didn't even know what the fuck she looked like until twenty minutes ago. I search around the ballroom for the man that has now fucked me over for life. Papa and Gio are off in the corner chatting with Erick. Perfect. I guess I can kill two birds with one stone.