Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch 27: Lex

As a Don, I've learned three essential things.

Never let a soul know what you feel.

Never express what your heart desires.

Only show people what you want them to see.

But she caught me off guard. I didn't expect to feel things with her.

Caterina Marchetti.

Now that my suspicions are confirmed, I'm second-guessing what to do next. I sit in my office, replaying the conversation between Caterina and Petrov.

"The Valentinos are not bad people. You never said it out loud, but I know you think they had something to do with your mother's murder."

My computer pings. The notification bar shows that Caterina received a new message. I have yet to listen to her calls or read her text messages. Caterina is now my number one enemy. I should have known the Marchetti's were up to something no good. Gio gives me his daughter's hand in marriage for what to take down my family. All because they think we killed her mother? If Caterina used her brain as much as she used her mouth, she would know I was already in Singapore, and we were all still mourning Freya's death.

I click the notification bar.

Unknown: Courtney, how is the birthday party planning? I want to start working on securing the next client. If you don't think you can help secure the next client, I'll do it myself.

I pick up my phone, calling in a favor.

"Ello," Josie St.James picks up on the first ring. Josie is one of the best hackers I've had the pleasure of meeting in Singapore. She stole a million dollars from one of my offshore accounts, and I had my men track her down to a nearby cafe. To say I was surprised to see a high schooler would be an understatement. "Hello," she repeats. "Lucifer, I know it's you, old man. What do you want?"

"Cashing in a favor."

"Interesting, you haven't cashed in a favor in almost six years. How may I be of assistance."

I gave her the number that texted Caterina. "I need to know everything about this person. Also, I need you to hack into Marchetti's home surveillance."

"Is your wifey cheating on you?" She kisses her teeth. "I told you that whole domineering attitude is a turnoff."

"St. James, I need that information in the next hour," I say, not entertaining her.

"Give me two hours. See you in hell." St. James disconnects the call, and I look back at the message. She is working with someone. I wonder if the ambush at my warehouse was all her doing rather than Enzo's.

"Boss," Rico walks into my office. "Your wife doesn't seem all that cooperative with answering questions."

Of course, she isn't. No enemy in their right mind would share information that would incriminate them. "What did you ask her?"

"I didn't get to the question because she thought I was implying she was cheating on you. And she proudly announces that her pussy belongs to you." He laughs. "I think you are the best person to get information from her."

If only they knew I was truly sleeping with the enemy. I was going to spare Caterina's life once she cut ties with her family, but whether she cuts them or not, her life now has an expiration date—no more benefit of the doubt.

The anger and hate I felt toward the Marchettis have now multiplied. Caterina almost made a fool of me.

"I'll talk to her later." My eyes flicker to the computer, trying to decipher the message. It could be a wrong number or a secret message. The more I look at the message and replay her conversation with Petrov, the more I'm smoldering with rage. "Where is she now?"

icon lock

Show your support for Jessica Carter, and continue reading this story

by Jessica Carter
@Jessica-Carter
When mafia princess Caterina is thrust into an arranged marriage with...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Jessica-Carter.