Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Ch 23: Lex

"It's done?" I ask.

There is a pause before the voice on the other line comes through. "Yes. Everything is in place. No one will suspect a thing."

"For your safety, I hope so." I sigh deeply, ending the call.

Caterina has been in America for five days now. Once, I heard the families put out a hit on the Marchett family. I had to restrain myself from having them turn the jet around and bring her back home. Starting a war is not what I had plans for, but if Caterina dies, I will destroy every family until mine is the only one left standing.

"Boss," Dante walks into my office. "The shipment is about to arrive."

I've been personally monitoring our shipment's arrival and departure. Not just the illegal shipments but the legal ones, too. Matteo and Rafael are opening more restaurants, hotels, and casinos this year. If shipments keep going missing, that will hurt the Valentino Group in more ways than one.

"Okay."

Dante raises his eyebrows at me, walking further into my office. I know what he will ask before he even sits opposite my desk. "If you're going to channel your inner Silvia Toffanin, I don't want to hear it. This isn't Verissimo Show."

A dopey smile spreads across his face. "For someone who says they don't have time for anything you know about Verissimo."

"I'm feeling a bit generous. What did you want to ask me?" I've started doing things I've never done before to keep my mind off Caterina. Now, by the look in Dante's eyes, he is about to take my generosity and run a mile with it.

"What are your plans for Caterina?"

"She owes me a favor; if she goes through with it, I'll let her live. If she doesn't, I'll figure it out once we cross that bridge."

I hope we never make it to that bridge.

Dante nods.

"That's it?" I ask. I'm sure he has more he wants to say.

"No."

I'm good at detecting lies and bullshit. Right now, Dante has my detector going off. Now, this is a first.

"D, we don't lie to one another. What else?"

"How is he?"

He doesn't have to say his name. I know.

"Salvatore is fine. He will be home in a few months." I stand. "You can call him. I will never stop you from speaking to him. We're all brothers." I walk out of the office, and I hear his footsteps following.

Salvatore has his handful, and I'm sure of it. Serigo's sister was screaming bloody murder when he and I last spoke almost a month ago. He says he has it under control now, and I'm sure his dick is the reason behind it.

I look at the rollup gate as the eight-wheeler backs into the warehouse. My phone rings, and I stop walking. Caterina is calling. Caterina doesn't call me. Caterina has yet to call me since she arrived back in New York. I answer on the first ring, thinking the worst.

"Coniglietta, everything okay?"

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not a fucking bunny."

"Seems like everything is just fine. Your mouth is begging to be punished when you get back home. I'll make sure that is the first thing I do."

"Not going to happen. The last time was a mistake. A mistake I regret."

"Your mouth loves to tell lies, but your body speaks the truth. I'm sure you didn't call to have phone sex. Get to the point."