Chapter 1

Living at the major family compound is almost unbearable. 

Chay likes that Hia seems (mostly) happy. He also likes spending time with Tankhun, because being around someone with a blatant disregard for the norm and the expectations that were always set for them is inspiring, especially with Hia being disappointed about the whole college thing. 

"I just don't get what happened," Hia says, pacing in Chay's suite once Chay can't hide the fact he was never denied or accepted into the school of his choice because he never finished the interview process, "I gave you a ride to the interview! I practiced with you right before we left! Why would you skip it?!"

Because he had been abducted. Because the guy he fell for saved him, then turned out to be a lying jerk who had only been using him (his songs, texts, and apologies mean NOTHING). Because his not-dead mother was secretly kept in a room by none other than Kim's father, although that had happened after the fact and Chay truly thinks Kim didn’t know she was there. However, it still doesn't help.  

Instead, Chay shrugs his shoulders and looks down at his book again, causing Hia to come over and squat down in front of him. 

"Talk to me," Hia says quietly, "I know a lot has happened, but keeping it all to yourself doesn't help-"

"You're one to talk," Chay mutters, causing Hia's words to die on his tongue as he puts the book down to meet his eyes, "Except that you're not. You told me nothing. You lied." 

Hia's face screws up, "Chay, I thought…We talked that out! You know why I kept this quiet! It was to keep you safe!"

"Yeah, well I don't feel safe here," Chay says, then acts on impulse as he gets off the bed and onto his feet, "I'm going back home." 

"You- What-" Hia starts, then storms over to turn him around, "No. We're talking this out. This isn't how we talk to each other." 

Chay shrugs Hia's hand off of him, "I don't want to talk. I need space. This place is suffocating."

"It…" Hia starts, then looks around, "Chay, it's huge! It's…Is this about Ma? And…And…"

Hia trails off, then looks at the corners of the room and light fixtures warily.

He's nervous too. He may be some big mafia boss now, but he's scared. It makes Chay's anger deflate a little. 

"I need a break," Chay says, his voice more even, "I just want to go home . I miss home." 

Hia stares at him for a moment, then purses his lips, "I'm sending a guard-"

"I'm not taking some random guard," Chay says, feeling agitated again, "I don't need some-"

"Just because Vegas and Gun are no longer threats doesn't mean we are safe," Hia says stubbornly, "While we are being perceived differently since Kinn and I are together, there are people who are still going to challenge me. We are already hearing whispers of that. And you could be used as leverage. So take a guard."