Chapter 15

“You’re sure about this?” Chay asks after they walk Macau to his suite and go to Kinn’s and Porsche’s floor. 

Kim only takes a few seconds to think about it, then looks at Ping before reluctantly handing him over. 

“Kim, no,” Chay says, pushing Ping away, “You need Ping! To protect you!” 

“But I also need to protect him,” Kim tells Chay, “And you. If I am going to go hide until after breakfast, then Pa may retaliate by taking him from me. Besides, he was with you before we met in the elevators. People might be suspicious of you knowing about my plan if I suddenly have him.”

Chay takes Ping after a moment, “This might not work. You may make your pa look neglectful if he wakes up and can’t find you. That might not make it so he hands you over to Kinn and Khun. He may station guards by his door and have them carry you back in if you try to escape.”

Kim breathes in, then pulls the picture he found in the album from his pocket, “I know it’s a risk. But I have to try. I can’t do any more time-outs or fake, pleasant conversations, Chay. It’s torture.”

“...I hate that you were tortured,” Chay says softly, “I never want you to be hurt, sad, or scared again.”

Kim looks away at that, “Even after what I did to you? How I…How I lied? I don’t see how-”

“You had your reasons,” Chay cuts in, “You were trying to find out your pa’s secrets and crimes. I understand now, even though it hurt back then. But I don’t think you would have continued music lessons and gone out with me so much after I was a dead end if…if you didn’t like me too.”

Kim stares at Chay, then brings him in for a tight hug. Chay returns it just as tightly. Kim doesn’t want it to end. 

“Be careful,” Chay says into his ear, You have Macau’s phone? So one of us can call and say the code phrase if you need to make an appearance early?”

“Uh-huh.”

“You don’t have to do this.”

Kim shrugs, still in the hug, “It’s part of our long game.”

Chay nods, then eventually takes a step back, “Sleep well.”

He won’t. Kim already knows that. Sleeping without Ping in one of the basements by himself sounds awful. He would almost prefer going back to Pa’s suite. 

Almost. 

-----

It’s past 7 a.m. when Korn eventually caves and comes to Kinn’s and Hia’s suite. 

“Is Kim in here?” he asks, sounding stressed and worried. To be fair, he probably is. Chay doesn’t doubt that some part of Korn loves his sons. But it’s a relatively small part, the part untouched by corruption, sociopathy, and a need to control. However, Chay doesn’t think he’s seen that more vulnerable part until right now.