Chapter 18

Waking up on a concrete floor is always a matter of concern. 

Arm remembers how frightening it always was in the orphanage. Isolation was inhumane for a child, especially when it was over something like sneaking a second juice, correcting the teacher's subpar math skills, or defending a friend. Arm found himself in isolation pretty frequently. So when he opens his eyes and sees Pete close by, he can't help but feel relief, even if it means Pete is in a shitty situation too. 

"Pete?" Arm mumbles, lifting his head up before sitting up fully, "What…"

Arm takes a moment to look around. He almost jerks when he sees a toddler with them, although he should be used to the presence of young children by now. It only takes a second to recognize her as the child in the videos.

"Is that…" Arm asks, then gestures at the toddler. Pete just nods. Aree takes more initiative as she gets off Pete's lap and walks over to him. 

"I'm Aree," she says, "What's your name?" 

"Uh, it's Arm," Arm tells her.

"Nice to meet you!" she says, somehow staying positive despite the fact they are in a cell. 

"Nice to meet you too," Arm says, only for Aree to lose interest halfway through his sentiment, choosing to dance around the cell instead. 

"Kinn's still out," Pete says dully, "But that's probably the least of his issues right now." 

Arm glances over at Pete, "What do you mean?" 

"Check his left wrist." 

Arm lets out a sigh, picks up Kinn's wrist, and pushes the sleeve back. An metal plated band with multicolored symbols is around it. 

"It's what the carnival attendant put on Macau," Pete says, then gestures at Kinn, "If it works the same as it did on him, then we will probably have another toddler on our hands in three or four days." 

Arm stares at it, then puts Kinn's wrist back down and rubs his eyes, "He's the head of the family, Pete." 

"I know." 

"If he becomes like Kim, Korn is going to take on full power again, not that he ever fully stepped down," Arm continues. Considering what they've learned, that is something that CAN'T happen. But Porsche is too new, still learning the responsibilities of being the minor family heir. Korn would never hand the duties over to Vegas without breathing down his neck. 

There is Tankhun. But Arm can't imagine Tankhun wanting those responsibilities at all, not without completely restructuring everything and Arm doesn't know if Tankhun is in the mindset to do that with what's going on-

"We don't have to worry about Korn. I have planned on killing him for years. I will do it as soon as we get out."

The words come from Aree. Despite the seriousness of the threat, she is still dancing around the cell. However, despite the combination of her movements and words being slightly ridiculous, Pete just rests his head against the wall.