Chapter 20

Aree is so excited to see Mama! She's so excited that she almost forgets to take a weapon with her and has to go back to P'Vegas's and P'Pete's suite to get one. 

She doesn't tell Hia why she needs to go back. She feels like she doesn’t need to say anything. He will know it’s the best thing to do. Hia is really understanding like that. A character in a movie they watched last night called her older brother Hia. She asked if she could call him that too, and Hia said yes, then let her teach him dancing! He’s the best! 

However, when she runs back to the suite and goes to grab one of the knives off the cart, P'Vegas blocks her and Hia and P'Kinn pull her back. 

"What are you doing?" P'Vegas asks her. Aree lets out a put-upon sigh. She thought P'Vegas of all people would understand! 

"I need a knife to kill Korn!" Aree tells him, then rolls her eyes, "I won't sneak away and find him. But if I run into him, I need to be ready." 

"She's really strong, Hia," Macau says, going up to his brother, "She's one of the best on the girls' Muy Thai team at school! You know that! You and P'Pete went to her match with me and saw her win!" 

That reminds her…

"I missed my dance recital because of this," Aree mumbles, kicking at the floor, "Because I'm a toddler now. It would make me feel better if I could kill Korn." 

Macau nods in agreement and takes Aree's hand, "It would make her feel better." 

"Aree," Hia says, touching her shoulder, "That won't be necessary. You don't need to take a knife. You are just seeing Ma and Chay-" 

"I need to protect her!" Aree insists, then runs to one of the bags filled with clothes, "And I need to look really nice!" 

Hia watches her for a second, then comes over to move the bag to the side.

"That's mine!" She says, even though P'Kinn bought it all. But he said it was hers, so it is. 

"I'm not taking it away," Hia says gently, "You can pick out something else to wear. That's fine. But don't worry about Korn right now. He's not going to be a problem-" 

"Bullshit," P'Vegas mutters, and that's the truth!

"It is bullshit!" Aree agrees as she nods her head. 

Hia sends a quick glare to P'Vegas, then looks at P'Kinn helplessly. Aree watches as P'Kinn gives him a small nod before he looks at everyone else in the room. 

"The woman who briefly held us in a cell gave me a vial yesterday," P'Kinn says, then gives P'Vegas another look, "I slipped it to Pa. We couldn't forgive him for what he did. Aree deserved to stay here without being afraid-"

"I'm not afraid!" Aree insists as she stomps over to him because she's NOT a scaredy cat, "I'm vengeful and practical! There's a difference!"