Chapter 28

When Pete picks up his boyfriend’s grandmother from the airport, she immediately looks around. 

“Neither of them came?” she asks and signs, seeming a bit disappointed. 

Pete gives her a helpless shrug. They agreed to wait until she was at the compound before telling her about Macau. Maybe he can get her to accept an answer about Vegas, so he raises his hands to SimCom.

“Vegas is…” Pete starts, then lets out a sigh, “He needs help getting in and out of the car. He didn’t want to upset you by having that be the first thing you see. Macau stayed back with him.”

It’s not the full truth, but it isn’t a lie either. And it must seem honest enough, because Fern accepts it. 

“Well, thank you for coming,” she tells him, then pulls him in for a hug, “It’s so nice to meet you in person, Pete. Thank you for taking care of Vegas. And Macau.”

Pete lets the hug go for a moment longer, then steps back to sign to her. 

“Thank you for coming. I’m happy to meet you too.”

Pete then looks at Fern's service dog, Lucy.

"Can I pet her?" 

Fern gives him the go-ahead and Pete tells Lucy it is nice to meet her too.

It takes about fifteen minutes to just get to the car, the airport is more crowded than usual, but Fern is fine with walking. She was born in Thailand but grew up in New York City, making it her main mode of transportation. On top of that, she is a young grandmother and only in her early 60s. She has no issues walking to the back of the lot. Although, Pete might. He can keep up just fine, but the walk makes him more anxious about what they’re about to tell her. 

It’s going to be a lot. 

Regardless, he tries to keep a smile on his face as he starts the car, puts it into drive, and heads towards the compound. 

-----

When Pete texts to let him know they are on their way back, Vegas makes sure Macau is in Namphueng's suite before heading back to his own. 

"Why can't I be there when she comes?" Macau says sadly, facing Vegas as he refuses to get off his lap. 

Vegas lets out a sigh and starts fixing Macau's hair, "I want to prepare her. She is probably already upset about me. Seeing you is going to scare her." 

Macau gives him a pout, "I'm not scary. I'm cute." 

"He's really cute, P'Vegas," Aree says from the couch. 

Vegas bites back a grin, "You're the cutest toddler here. There's no denying that-" 

"That's subjective," Kim says, crossing his arms. Vegas isn't arguing with him right now.