Chapter 01

If Nalani could have a thousand things, her bakery's oven catching fire on her bakery's opening day was not one of them. Ever since her birth, she had meticulously planned every detail of this day. From the exquisite pink and white tiled floors to the carefully crafted handmade paper banners adorning the ceiling of her shop, she had left no room for surprises. Except there was one— an unfortunate one. Honestly, Nalani hadn't realized anything until she noticed smoke emerging from the corner of her eye. In a state of panic, she hastily seizes an oven mitt and dashes toward the oven.

Frantically engaging in a game of hot potato with the oven's handle, she whines, "No! Why is this happening to me? Why today of all days?"

As the scorching heat of the oven's handle seared her hand, she conceded defeat in the game. Desperately clutching a small fire extinguisher, she attempted to quell the growing flames, only to find them defiantly escalating. This was not going accordingly. With a sense of urgency, she dialed the emergency number, her heart filled with prayerful hope for assistance.

Within moments, the fire station alarm sounds, and the firefighters spring into action. The department hall echoes with the lively clamor of shuffling boots and thorough gear checks. Samuel forced his eyes open, only to find his boss John looming over him, wearing a stern expression. If it wasn't for the blaring sirens his illusion that this awakening was anything other than ordinary was shattered.

"Get ready, Foster. It's a beautiful day to work," John says, giving his shoulder a friendly pat before helping him up from the bed in the quarters. As John read out the premise of the situation, Samuel thought he might just take a vacation to the Bahamas. He could build a nice little beach house. Maybe a lanai. He had the skills.

The fire truck screeches to a halt outside the bakery — Nalani's Delights. Samuel, clad in his firefighting gear, swiftly exits the vehicle, carrying a large fire hose. He approaches the bakery with determination. As soon as Samuel steps through the door, the pungent smell of smoke envelops him, urging him to head straight for the rear of the bakery.

Nalani's eyes widened with relief as she witnessed Samuel storming into the bakery. She couldn't lie that the action had her heart fluttering with admiration. Observing him in awe, she watches as Samuel surveys the room, his experienced eyes assessing the situation at hand. She knew Samuel, everyone did, but not for the right reason — Samuel was renowned for his no-nonsense attitude and grumpy demeanor. He had a reputation for being tough as nails, rarely showing any signs of warmth or appreciation. But Nalani, with her kind heart and unwavering optimism, believed that everyone had a soft spot deep down. She was determined to find a way to crack Samuel's tough exterior and bring a bit of sweetness into his life.

"What's the situation, Lani?" Samuel's gruff English accent cuts through the chaos, piercing Nalani's ears, his endearing nickname causing her heart to skip a beat. Shaken by the fact that the small emergency extinguisher had little effect, she points anxiously toward the oven.

"I tried to put it out, but it keeps getting worse!" Samuel assessed the oven one more time. This is more serious than he thought. He gestured for Nalani to step back, taking charge of the situation. "Stay back. I'll handle this,"

Nalani retreats to a safe distance, her eyes fixed on Samuel, concern etched on her face. She can't help but be captivated by his bravery and expertise. Maybe it was how he swiftly picked up the hose and aimed it skillfully at the flames, battling the fire with intense focus. Water cascades from the hose, overpowering the blaze. Gradually, the fire relents and eventually extinguishes.

Nalani released a bated breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. She locked eyes with the firefighter, she couldn't discern if her hard work turning into ashes had caused her teary eyes or if it was pure adrenaline. Before Samuel could blink, Nalani jumped into Samuel's arms, a bear hug that almost toppled him despite her smaller stature. Considering he is all hard-trained military muscle.

"You did It! Thank you so much, Sam," Nalani moved her hands from where they had been pressed against his firm chest to encircle his neck.

"It's my job, Lani. Just doing want I'm trained to do."

"Well, you're more than just a firefighter. You're a hero. Thank You, Samuel." Nalani flashes that pretty smile of hers that always makes Samuel feel weak in the knees though he will never admit it. Samuel remained silent, unable to reciprocate her gratitude as the rest of the fire crew entered.

"Are we interrupting something?" Mike couldn't help but chuckle. Nalani pushed herself off Samuel still her smile taking up half of her face.

John, the captain, stepped forward. "Fortunately, we're stationed just down the block." He briefly glanced at the oven and added, "There don't seem to be any damages, except you might consider replacing that oven." John grinned, his brown goatee bristled and his eyes formed crescents.

Nalani clapped her hands together gathering everyone's attention in an instant. "I have to repay you!" Nalani shuffled passed the burly men to the front of the bakery window, where frilly-decorated cupcakes were sitting. She gathered a handful of baked bread that looked like it had chocolate and strawberries filling.

"Please take this!" Nalani implored, as she pushed the bag of goods towards Samuel. As he reached for it, their fingers brushed, and an unexpected warmth surged through her. "As a token of my gratitude," she stammered just as their eyes met, drawn into his deep brown gaze. Nalani knew if she was any shade lighter, she would be red as an apple.

Samuel had a weird feeling developing in his chest, he couldn't think of the last time he'd had this feeling. Was he having a stroke? Maybe he should take some ibuprofen when he gets back, he thinks to himself.

As Nalani watched the fire crew walk out of her bakery and onto the truck, Nalani knew one thing: she loved easily and she was absolutely smitten. 

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Thank you for reading.

Please vote + comment!