Chapter 09

"How about this?" Nalani gestures toward the colossal tree beside her, which seems to tower at least twice her height. "It's a tad oversized, but..." Samuel grumpily remarks, "That's not going to fit in your flat," causing Nalani to huff with her hands on her hips. "Of course it isn't," She absentmindedly replies, "It's going in yours."

They strolled through the market, surrounded by the scent of pine need;es and cheerful melodies of carolers. Nalani enthusiasm was infectious, softening Samuel's usual stern demeanor as they examined each tree, assessing its height, fullness and aroma. Samuel didn't fully grasp what Nalani had said until she had already moved three trees away.  "It's going where?"

As they drove back, Samuel usually silent truck was filled with Nalani's chatter about her favorite holiday memories and plans for the bakery's Christmas treats. Surprisingly, Samuel found himself listening intently, occasionally chiming in with short anecdotes from his own past. They were few but good in his book.

"By the time I reached my part in the song, I just blanked out! All I could manage was a smile," Nalani complained, her embarrassed expression masked by an enduring smile. At this point, they had entered Samuel's apartment, strategically placing the tree in a corner of his living room, while Samuel observed everything from his seat at the kitchen island table.

Nalani picked up a Christmas tree-shaped cookie she had baked earlier and brought along. "Delicious," she murmured, savoring the final bite of the cookie. Samuel emitted a soft chuckle while gazing at Nalani from across the table.

"What?" Nalani inquires, wrinkling her nose and attempting to get a better look at him while licking the icing off her fingers. Samuel leans in across the table, gently brushing his calloused thumb over her lower lip to clear away the crumbs scattered on her chin.

"Here you are," Samuel whispered, licking his thumb, his gaze fixed on hers without wavering.

"Thank You," Nalani mumbled, her heart exploding into ribbons. Throughout her life, Nalani had desired numerous things, with her bakery undoubtedly topping the list. However, in this particular moment, she sensed that something else was rapidly becoming a close second.

"Let's go on a date," Nalani blurts, her eyes big with hope. Samuel felt his chest leap at her words.

"You want to go out with me?" he blurts out, his accent intensifying with each word that he can't contain. "I'm nearly twice your age. I don't think you should be with someone as old as me," Samuel continues, his voice softening. "You should be with someone your own age. It's not that I don't find you attractive; I think you're sweet and lovely. But it's just..."

"Sam," Nalani interrupts him, "I am capable of making my own decisions."

Nalani began again, "And right now, I'm choosing you. A part of me believes I'm choosing you for a very long time."

Samuel felt suffocated; it was true, he didn't want to love her. He didn't want to love Nalani or anyone else. He yearned to be alone, drowning in his own pool of self-pity. He felt undeserving, tarnished, and depleted.But she-

Nalani was perfect.

And

And he loved her so very much.

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚
Thank you for reading!
Please Comment + Vote

Merry Christmas <3