Chapter 06

As Samuel was passing by Nalani's shop, he overheard a conversation between some regular customers. They were excitedly discussing Nalani's birthday, which he had completely forgotten about. A pang of guilt washed over Samuel as he realized he hadn't even wished her a happy birthday. He definitely couldn't make it through the day without letting her know, fully aware that he'd run into her anyway.

Determined to make it up to her, Samuel devised a plan. He decided to visit the local jewelry shop during his lunch break to find the perfect gift for Nalani. Upon entering the shop, he was greeted by the aroma of raw metal and gold, accompanied by the merry laughter of women swooning over rings at the counter. This was uncharted territory for him, and he hoped he would find something that would make her smile.

As he carefully examined the delicate necklaces and sparkling earrings, Samuel heard a familiar voice behind him. It was Mike, one of his mischievous coworkers from the fire station. Mike had a talent for discovering humor in the most unforeseen circumstances and also for sticking his nose in places where it didn't belong.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here," Mike teased, a sly grin forming on his face. "What brings the tough guy to a jewelry store? Got a hot date, Samuel?"

Samuel's face turned bright red, a mixture of embarrassment and annoyance spreading across his features. "Mind your own business, Mike," he grumbled, hoping to brush off the teasing and continue his search unnoticed.

But Mike wasn't about to let him off the hook so easily. He sauntered closer, inspecting the various jewelry pieces on display. "So, Samuel, who's the lucky lady? Should we start taking bets on how long this secret romance will last? Should I let Lani know you're shopping for the mistress?"

Samuel cast a cautionary look at Mike, feeling his frustration rise. "Enough, Mike. Let it go, alright?" Setting the ring down, he added firmly, "And it's Nalani to you!"

Mike finally relented, realizing he had pushed Samuel's buttons far enough. With a chuckle, he patted his colleague on the back. "Alright, alright. Your secret's safe with me. Good luck, Romeo."

Feeling relieved that Mike had finally moved on, Samuel refocused his attention on the jewelry. After much deliberation, he settled on a delicate silver necklace with a small pendant shaped like a firefighter's helmet. It seemed like the perfect gift, representing both his profession and his admiration for Nalani. Not that he would show up upfront anyway. 

Later that evening, Samuel walked into Nalani's bakery, nervously clutching the gift in his hand. He hoped that she would appreciate the gesture and understand that he genuinely cared for her.

Nalani looked up from behind the counter, her eyes widening with surprise and delight as she saw Samuel. Samuel thought to himself how incredibly beautiful she was. "Samuel! What a pleasant surprise. You remembered my birthday?"

Samuel sheepishly nodded, extending the gift toward her. "I'm sorry I forgot earlier. Happy belated birthday, Nalani. I hope you like this."

Nalani's face lit up as she unwrapped the necklace, her eyes glistening with tears of joy. She placed it around her neck and embraced Samuel tightly. "Thank you, Samuel. This is the most thoughtful gift I've ever received."

As word of Samuel's heartfelt gesture spread through the fire station, his coworkers couldn't help but be impressed. They teased him relentlessly and part of Samuel felt like he shouldn't have given her the gift in the first place.

But Samuel knew if he hadn't then he wouldn't have seen his girl smile. 

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Thank you for reading.

Please vote + comment.