Chapter 03

Another day. Another dollar.

It was a busy day for the bakery today. Nalani hadn't sat down since she stepped into the building but she wasn't complaining she was living her dreams.

This time, Nalani hadn't realized when Samuel entered, he lingered by the doorway, observing. He felt like an outsider in the bakery, his gaze wandering over the couples enjoying cake and a few individuals engrossed in their laptops while taking a bite of their Danish.

"What can I get for you?" Samuel's ears quirked to the sound of Nalani's voice. She's all smiles and sunshine. She tended to a man, approximately in his mid-twenties, with brown hair and a complexion akin to Nalani's. There was no denying this guy was of a similar age to Nalani. Samuel observed him closely, noting the way he leaned suggestively on her counter and how his gaze drifted southward every time Nanlani turned. It almost brought a small sense of satisfaction when Nalani declined his invitation to visit the local karaoke rooms.

Samuel was brooding by the time the guy finally got the hint and left. But Samuel knew he was no better, He was an old man, his red hair started to show streaks of gray and Nalani deserved someone who was young enough to always be with her.

He hadn't planned for the encounter to turn uncomfortable, never before had he been so tongue-tied. But when he saw her, with disheveled hair, sleeves pushed up, a dusting of flour on her apron, and her wide eyes and radiant smile, he was left utterly speechless.

"Honey, are you alright?" Nalani lips formed a gentle pout as she spoke, "I'll make your favorite if you sit." Samuel obediently followed Nalani's guiding hand to a window seat, but he jerked his hand away, "Don't call me that !" Nalani couldn't help but grin in response. His ears are red she'd snicker to herself.

It didn't take long until Nalani pushed a cup of warm Earl Grey tea and a cookie in front of him. She sat next to him and watched as he sipped.

"He was a good-looking bloke,"

"I don't want him." Nalani says her back straigtening. She was serious. Dead serious and he knew that. He almost felt bad for making her jump as hard as she did.

"I'm serious, Lani," Samuel said, edging closer beside her. He locked eyes with her, his expression gravely serious. "If you're gonna try something with me, it ain't gonna work."

A brief hush fell over the scene, and Nalani sensed her cheeks warming. Samuel was deathly close just one move and her lips would be on his.

"I'm the last person you want to be in a relationship with," Samuel admitted, He was a soldier. His past was dark and shadowy. The less Nalani knew about him, the safer they both would be.

"Understand." All Nalani could do was nod. Nalani knew she was in too deep and had already crossed the point of no return.

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Thank you for reading.

Please vote + comment.