Chapter 05

Samuel never celebrated national holidays. His time on the base was a hazy blur, making it a miracle if he could remember not only the day of the week but even the month.

Today was no different, he wouldn't have noticed anything if it wasn't for the Halloween decorations Nalani had thrown around the station. Samuel had watched Nalani twirl and dance around the commons as she stuck ghost and pumpkin stickers on the wall, declaring, "It's to lure in trick-or-treaters!"

When Nalani requested Samuel's assistance with decorating her bakery, he initially frowned and walked away. However, Captain John soon noticed Samuel standing behind Nalani on a ladder, apparently, there "to hold the ladder."

As today marked Nalani's favorite holiday, it was her tradition to distribute cupcakes and sweets to the fortunate trick-or-treaters while donning the attire of beloved characters. This year, she set her sights on transforming into Dorothy from "The Wiz." But, naturally, she required her lion by her side.

"What are you doing?" Samuel grumbled with clenched teeth as Nalani lightly tapped his face with a cool, liquid substance. "If you'd just stay still . . ." Nalani replied, biting her lip in concentration. Nanlani had already prepared for the evening, sporting two braided pigtails adorned with red ribbons, dressed in a blue gingham pinafore paired with a white blouse, and completing her look with red Mary Janes.

 Samuel found it impossible to look away from her. He attempted to focus on the ceiling or shut his eyes, but even her scent proved irresistible. She stood right in front of him, tempting him to embrace her with his strong arms, feeling her warmth meld with his.

Samuel's reverie was interrupted when he noticed Nalani had ceased her activities and was fixed on him. "What's wrong?" He furrowed his brow, arms folded defensively across his chest, his ears burning under her intense gaze.

Nalani whined, "Sam if you keep that frown, you'll scare the kids away!" Samuel sighed, the chair groaning beneath his weight. "I never signed up for any of this, Lani." Nalani picked up the hand mirror she had brought and handed it to Samuel. His frown deepened as he glimpsed his reflection, revealing cat whiskers and a large black dot on the tip of his nose that Nalani had painted. "I look ridiculous," Samuel groaned.

Nanlani countered with a playful grin, saying, "No, you look absolutely purrfect." Her laughter was music to Samuel's ears, and he couldn't help but think she looked beautiful. Samuel was staring so hard he hadn't realized he was smiling.

"You're smiling because of me! Don't deny it, it's right there in plain sight," Nalani says, cupping the side of Samuel's neck. "But you know, you should smile more often," Nalani adds, voice softening, drawing Samuel closer. Samuel's heart picks up with speed, breath hitching on the inhale. "Because you're more handsome than usual when you're smiling."

Samuel's cheeks turned crimson, and he couldn't control the embarrassment, much to his dismay. Before they could do anything, Captain John cleared his throat. "Looks like a beautiful day to give out candy," he chuckled.

As darkness settled over the town, the children began their trick-or-treating rounds. Nalani's bakery was illuminated with warm, inviting lights, and the aroma of freshly baked cookies wafted through the air. That night, Samuel and Nalani stood side by side. Samuel observed Nalani as she interacted with the children, silently cherishing the moment. 

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Thank you for reading.

Please comment + vote.