Chapter 14

When Samuel was fourteen, he had his first kiss. He barely knew the girl honestly. Samuel reluctantly agreed to accompany his sister Aria on the date, solely because she had pleaded with him to ensure her friend wouldn't feel excluded. As far as Samuel can recall, she was attractive, but he struggled to maintain a conversation with her as she threw out various topics to keep him engaged.

She even kissed him that night, and Samuel swore he'd never met a girl who secured the strongest hold against his neck. But he pulled away once she felt her tongue poking at his lips. It was awkward but he had no ill feeling about it after.

So, Samuel saying he felt nervous was an understatement. It was only a banquet; he went every year. It was the same people, same food and same atmosphere. Except that wasn't the truth. It wasn't the same food, people or atmosphere. Nalani was going to be there and that was enough to change the normal.

"Ease up mate," Mike patted Samuel on the back.

Mike was right, he should ease up. It's not like it was a date or anything. Nalani happened to be the caterer for this event. Samuel sighed as he loosened his tie and started his ignition.

Nalani smiled as she placed a chocolate frosted cupcake on the decorated soldier's plate. Every few minutes, her gaze flickered towards the entrance, anticipating Samuel's arrival. She had heard he typically skipped such gatherings, but she hoped fervently that he would come this time. After all, she hadn't dressed up like this for anyone else. Just the other day her girlfriends Lynn and Jade had dragged her out to take her shopping for the occasion.

"Okay now walk," Lynn's eyes narrowed at the sparkly heels.

Nalani took two wobbly steps. "She said walk not limp," Jade rolled her eyes.

After a few disagreements; they finally settled on a shimmering gold backless wine dress.

As Nalani stood, idly playing with the threads of her emotions, Samuel entered the room, exuding confidence. "I can feel you staring at me. You're not exactly subtle, y'know," Samuel remarked. Nalani chuckled softly, replying, "Well, I can't help but admire something I like."

Samuel couldn't keep his eyes off her, even when he was dragged away to catch up with older comrades. He watched her as she placed baked goods on some random's plate, He watched as she smiled as another tried to tell her a lame joke, and how another tried to ask her to dance. And Nicholas, who Samuel suddenly realized was also watching Nalani with rather a lot of interest.

That was going to have to be nipped in the bud. It would not do for his old comrade to be obliging his wife.

Because, oh yes, he was going to marry this woman.

"Seriously, if you get married now, you won't have to worry about your problems anymore. I'll take care of you. You can close that little bakery of yours and have a few fat babies. Your hips look wide enough." The Soldier stated.

"Excuse me?" Nalani could only blink. Before Nalani could respond to his heinous comment, she felt a hand wrap around her waist. "Is that so?"

The Soldier gave a crisp salute before resting at ease, "Lieutenant Foster!"

Samuel nodded at his name, and pointed at the cup Nalani was miraculously holding, "This one yours?" Nalani lifted the cup Samuel bent down and took a sip. "Did you want to dance, love?"

"But I'm watching the table," Nalani pouted. Oh, she looked so kissable when she did that Samuel thought.

"I'm sure, Nicolas here would watch it for you, right?" Nicholas' eyes darted between the two.

"Y-yes Lieutenant."

As Samuel led Nalani to the dance floor, Nalani felt like she was going to faint. She felt eyes on her as he leaned her head on Samuel's chest. As they swayed silently to the slow music, she felt Samuel's cold hand linger to the open part of her dress.

"Y'know as much as you say you don't, you have a soft spot for me," Nalani smiled. Samuel huffs, " I am anything but soft especially for you. You never listen, you don't follow directions, you're immature, and the list goes on."

With a feigned gasp of astonishment, Nalani masked her amusement, shielding her mouth from his view. "You're not serious!" she exclaimed incredulously before reaching up to grasp his ear firmly. "Your ears are turning pink," she observed with a smirk, teasingly.

"You know you love me," Nalani teased playfully.

"Do I?" Samuel replied, a brief pause hanging in the air before he leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on Nalani's lips.

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Please Vote + Comment! <3

I live a double life; I am a college student T_T