Chapter 02

It was quite clear that Nalani had a crush on the grumpy firefighter Samuel; everyone was aware of it, except for Samuel himself. Or perhaps he was deliberately ignoring her. These thoughts often tormented Nalani. Certainly, there were numerous reasons why she shouldn't have feelings for him, with the primary one being the significant age gap; he was 15 when she was born.

"But I am twenty-five years old, I'm a grown woman and I can do what I want!" She'd think to herself as she carefully added the final cupcake to the basket before heading over to the fire station. It was about that time of the day when she'd get her daily dose of her firefighter.

Walking into the station, the aroma of musk and the lively laughter enveloped her. Nalani exchanged a brief greeting with John as she passed his office, her destination set for the kitchen. She aimed to arrive before Samuel could spot her. There had been occasions when he'd noticed her entering but purposefully veered in the opposite direction to avoid her, which stung, but she remained resolute.

As she entered the kitchen, the aroma of her baked goods wafted through the air, catching the attention of everyone inside. Samuel, seated in a corner, was reading the local newspaper, his brow furrowed in concentration. Nalani couldn't help but feel her heart flutter at the sight of him.

"Hello, everyone!" she greeted the firefighters cheerfully, setting the basket on the table. "I brought some sweets to brighten your day."

The room filled with appreciative murmurs and smiles as the firefighters gathered around the basket, eagerly reaching for cookies and muffins. Samuel, however, remained engrossed in his newspaper.

Undeterred, Nalani approached Samuel with a soft smile. "Samuel, I made these especially for you," She said, her voice trembling slightly with nerves. He glanced up from his paper, his stern expression never faulting. Nalani pushed the muffin on a plate in front of him as she took a seat beside him.

It didn't show on Nalani's face but she was in hell. Samuel eyeing the muffin like it was a bomb was killing her, she just wanted his approval. As he took a bite of the muffin, Nalani's heart swelled and Samuel could've sworn her eyes turned into hearts.

It was then that Nalani noticed a small cut on Samuel's forearm, most likely a remnant of a recent mission. Without thinking, she reached out, gently took his arm, and started cleaning the wound with a soft cloth.

If Samuel was being totally honest right now — his heart was in his ass. Samuel watched her with a mixture of surprise and appreciation. Her gentle touch and caring demeanor were a stark contrast to the rough nature of his job.

He watched silently and studied her face. Her eyebrows furrowed and her lips pressed tightly together in concentration. He'd hardly hadn't noticed the cut.

After cleaning the cut, Nalani pulled a band-aid from her pocket and placed it delicately over the injury. Her fingers lingered for a moment, then she planted a soft, sweet kiss on his arm. Her lips were warm and inviting as the baked goods she made, and the unexpected gesture left Samuel utterly stunned.

He blushed a deep shade of red, a sight that caused Nalani to giggle softly. hook, line, and sinker. "There, all better," she said, her voice filled with affection.

Samuel rose abruptly, the screech of his chair against the unforgiving floor silenced the room. In an instant, he jammed his hands into his pockets, his habitual frown deepening, and his brows furrowing, while a telltale flush reddened his cheeks.

Nalani was hot on his trail as he made a beeline for the garage. "I'm sorry, was it not good?" Nalani's voice floated to Samuel's ears. Samuel picked up his pace, he needed some fresh air.

"No," he said curtly. Her arms crossed in front of her chest.

"Why's a pretty, young smart girl hitting on a guy like me," Samuel says, squatting down to grab the toolbox near the big red truck, "Come on, why don't you like the pretty, young, smart girl hitting on you?" Nalani whines.

There was a pause.

"Wait – you think I'm pretty?' Nalani points an innocent finger towards herself  wearing a sly smile. So he wasn't ignoring her. Samuel realizing his confession stands to his feet quickly, "Don't you have work  to do," Samuel storms away, his ears burning.

✧˖°🌷📎⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

Thank you for reading.

Please vote + comment.